Emma Twyford - First British Woman To Climb The Sport Grade 9a

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Isn't 9a something like climbing the pattern in wallpaper, and overhanging at that?

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Gripping stuff. That had me impressed and cheering her on. That Big Issue is a belter.

Big Issue was first climbed by John Dunne in the 1980s. The issue was the use of bolts on trad(itional) climbs. Previously it had been bolted as a project. John removed the bolts then proved it could be climbed placing the protection as you go, on lead. Hence the name he gave the climb.

Between the 90s and about 7 years ago I was regularly rock climbing about once a fortnight. I once tried a sport 8a in the Peak District. That would be way easier than 9a. I couldn’t even get off the ground. The hardest I ever successfully managed was a sport 6c and that was on a good day.

Emma is super strong with super good technique. Me, I was only ever a punter, but I got immense joy from it. I was more of a trad climber only trying sport climbing now and again. Not so much climbing of late, but like many hobbies they wax and wane over the years. I still have all my climbing gear sitting in a box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom