energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supercooper

Hi I am new to this site and I have not ridden properly for about 20 years when I used to ride at least 20-40 miles a day after work. I used to have a Raleigh Dyna-Tec 600 bike and I loved it. 20 years on and just got a cheap racer and started doing 10-20 miles after work and trying to keep my wife and children happy as well anyway I am interested in making my own energy bars and am after any help I can get. I make my own energy drink which is just 1 ltr water, 4 tbls glucose powder , 1 tsp salt and dilute fruit juice (all natural) to taste. if anyone can help I would be grateful .

fungus

Veteran
Just google energy bar recipes, theres loads. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...krz2CA&usg=AFQjCNFxloxyX2BiEVNSMEvxhbUaa06g3A

Found this one on the hungry cyclist, apparently they're delicious
glutton.gif

Date and Cranberry Energy Bars

175g chopped dates
100g walnuts (soaked for 8 hrs) -(I didn't bother soaking but its probably a good idea as it would make the mixture stick together better)
225g plain almonds
3 tbsp golden syrup or honey
75g dessicated coconut
150g raisins
150g dried cranberries (or sultanas to keep cost down)
zest of one lemon
coconut for dusting
Might add some porridge oats next time for extra energy!!

Pour almonds, and walnuts into food processor and grind into a powder.
Add everything else and process into a sticky dough.
Press the dough into a rectangular shallow baking dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining coconut.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hrs before cutting into bars then wrapping individualy in cling film.

OP
OP
supercooper

supercooper

thanx for that when wife asks to go shopping at weekend she will be surprised when i have my own shopping list :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
I have tried a few recipes, but the one that I have stuck with is:-

http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-you.com/homemade-energy-bar.html

I do not bother with the M&M's and for the Granola, I buy "Lizzies" Granola, the only place I know that stocks it local is the big Tesco's at St Stephens in Hull. I have tried other substitutes but I do not get that kick up the backside feeling when I am flagging as I do with "lizzies", but their still is some other granolas I have just seen last week that look very similar and may try.

I double all the amounts in the menu and end up with 12 bars, wrap them in tinfoil and freeze them, by my calculations you get 33.5grm of carbs from one bar, providing they are all cut exact and eat half a bar every 10 miles on very long rides 100 miles etc, usually starting at 25 to 35 miles depending on how much I have to carry, which along with my energy drink and jelly babies gives me more than the required 60grms per hour. For shorter rides above 50 miles, I'll just carry 2 or 3 and then do a calculation that I eat the last half about 5-7 miles from the end and all the other halfs once again at 10 mile intervals before then.

Top Bottom