England vs New Zealand - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What a series! What a finale! One test each, two ODIs each, and the decider in real doubt right up to the final couple of overs. Fantastic!

And the Aussies will now kick your arses :laugh:
All the great performers against NZ will be called useless and you'll all demand immediate changes :o)

OP
OP
psmiffy
It is Tuesday – It is Old Trafford - It is the 1st and only ODI against the Kiwis

A one match ODI series – even more useless than a two match Test Series – surely even with the Aussies over they could have gone for something more sensible – maybe a three Test, Three ODI And three T20 – 12points for a test 7 for an ODI and 3 for T20 – make a series of it – Im sure some sponsor would have divvied up a cup

Anyway – the question is in the Brave New World (assuming it does not rain – It is Old Trafford) what is a par score – and are we talking 250 or more – Is there going to be changes to the England team – you would think it would be the same as last ODI, maybe with the exception of Finn being replaced by a batting bowler – so maybe Reece Topley

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It is Tuesday – It is Old Trafford - It is the 1st and only ODI against the Kiwis

A one match ODI series – even more useless than a two match Test Series – surely even with the Aussies over they could have gone for something more sensible – maybe a three Test, Three ODI And three T20 – 12points for a test 7 for an ODI and 3 for T20 – make a series of it – Im sure some sponsor would have divvied up a cup

Anyway – the question is in the Brave New World (assuming it does not rain – It is Old Trafford) what is a par score – and are we talking 250 or more – Is there going to be changes to the England team – you would think it would be the same as last ODI, maybe with the exception of Finn being replaced by a batting bowler – so maybe Reece Topley

Whisper it quietly but it's a beautiful evening up here. Warm, sunny, almost no wind. Perfect evening for cricket

OP
OP
psmiffy
A good win by England in the T20 to round off the New Zealand Tour Series – Tests Drawn one all with some exciting if inconsistent cricket played by both sides – England taking the five match ODI series in the final match having played with an unprecedented verve and nerve against a Kiwi side that brought something special to the arena.

So all in all a good first half of the summer for the England cricket teams – However, listening to Brendon McCullum wishing England good luck and fortune for the future I felt there was an unspoken comment – Good luck – you will need it against the Aussies

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
True...and I'm sure all England fans will view the Ashes with an interesting mix of keen anticipation and deep-rooted dread. But having said that, if you'd told me the NZ tour would have turned out the way it has at the outset, I would've had my doubts to say the least. After the stomping we took in the World Cup (where, let's not forget, NZ absolutely trashed us) my money would've been on an agonising series of humiliations - perhaps even a total whitewash.

Some interesting days ahead for the Ashes selectors, methinks.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You said it! Exactly how I feel!
Bring it on! I might have a tenner on us:smile:

I wish we didn't give them so much pre-Test practise though. When we go over there all we get is a a game against some up-country, outback hicks and a rain-affected knockabout against some second stringers.

OP
OP
psmiffy
Bring it on! I might have a tenner on us:smile:

I wish we didn't give them so much pre-Test practise though. When we go over there all we get is a a game against some up-country, outback hicks and a rain-affected knockabout against some second stringers.

In sure the Essex Boys @Dayvo will dent their confidence - and it might be a chance to see what England are up against - Gillespie is suggesting they are a team of geriatrics ^_^

OP
OP
psmiffy
True...and I'm sure all England fans will view the Ashes with an interesting mix of keen anticipation and deep-rooted dread.

Hope for the best :smile: and fear the worst :sad: - the key will be if the English bowling can do the business - hope they prepare some sporting pitches

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
the key will be if the English bowling can do the business

Hence at least in part my earlier comment about the selectors' dilemmas. Would they dare drop Broad and Anderson (until very recently 'one of the world's top' etc) in favour of the likes of Willey, Wild, Rashid? It would be a bold move, but .... You could argue all night about whether the 'new crew' have the edge on the autumnal stalwarts, but to the Aussies, the new lads are a bit of an unknown quantity, and could at least in theory put them on the back foot, whereas I suspect they feel they've the measure of Broad and Anderson. (Then again, what if you select Rashid and one of the cads brutalises him for 28 in his first over and he never recovers?) Who'd be a selector....

Wafer

Veteran
Entertaining series of cricket, which is slightly easier to say when coming out on top, but still, fair play to NZ, looking stronger than I've ever seen them with more to come I think providing challenging cricket without the agro that can be associated with some teams...

Honestly, I'm kind of expecting the Ashes to be a let down after that entertainment. Still, more confidence about them now than I was even after playing the tests against NZ. Hoping the positivity and confidence from the ODIs and T20 will carry through a bit. Last time the Aussies came over they were looking like being a laughing stock till Darren Lehmann was appointed and his affect was pretty instant. I'm wondering if the same could be happening with England here, they suddenly look a bit more coherent and free, if that can be carried into the test team as well the aussies will be a bit more concerned than they were a month or 2 ago.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hence at least in part my earlier comment about the selectors' dilemmas. Would they dare drop Broad and Anderson (until very recently 'one of the world's top' etc) in favour of the likes of Willey, Wild, Rashid? It would be a bold move, but .... You could argue all night about whether the 'new crew' have the edge on the autumnal stalwarts, but to the Aussies, the new lads are a bit of an unknown quantity, and could at least in theory put them on the back foot, whereas I suspect they feel they've the measure of Broad and Anderson. (Then again, what if you select Rashid and one of the cads brutalises him for 28 in his first over and he never recovers?) Who'd be a selector....
You have replicated the conversation chez Gany. I'm liking Rashid but it could be a car crash. But then Broady was rubbish v Yorkshire the other day too, when he failed to stop a partnership of 200+ in Nottingham. Aieeeeee....

OP
OP
psmiffy
smilie_Voldemort_Harry.gif
no idea ^_^ - but as a secondary question is who is picking the squad - There is a selection panel/committee who as far as Im aware were not sacked when Moores got his - I find it very difficult to believe that this squad was picked by the same committee that sent this team to the world cup

I listened to an interview with Morgan - He said that at the squad selection meeting for the ODI squad for the Kiwi series - present were - himself, Farbrace, Strauss and the Selectors - and "they were all on the same page" so -

1. It was a conspiracy ^_^
  2. What or whose page were the selectors on when they selected the World Cup Squad?
  3. When they selected the ODI squad for the Kiwi series who had the biggest stick? :smile:

Wafer

Veteran
I read that as meaning Strauss told them which page to be on and that it should be the one Farbrace is on with Bayliss coming in :smile:
Conspiracy or good management?! And a complete lack of it for the world cup.

Top Bottom