Ergon grips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I’ve had a set of el cheapo Ergon-alike grips on my Brompton since new.

But I noticed this morning that one of them had a big chunk out of it.

Any excuse to buy something new so…

I was thinking that I might as well get the real thing

At present I have the grips plus old fashioned MTB bar ends. So I was thinking that the GP3s would be a neater solution than I have now.

But looking online, it appears there are two different diameters. The small aimed at those with hand sizes 6.5-8.5 and large for 8.5 and up.

Pretty sure my hands are right on the cusp - should I go up or down?

Anyone got anything else to add for me to consider?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’ve had a set of el cheapo Ergon-alike grips on my Brompton since new.

But I noticed this morning that one of them had a big chunk out of it.

Any excuse to buy something new so…

I was thinking that I might as well get the real thing

At present I have the grips plus old fashioned MTB bar ends. So I was thinking that the GP3s would be a neater solution than I have now.

But looking online, it appears there are two different diameters. The small aimed at those with hand sizes 6.5-8.5 and large for 8.5 and up.

Pretty sure my hands are right on the cusp - should I go up or down?

Anyone got anything else to add for me to consider?

The size refers to the thickness where your hand grips. I'd go for the large. The gp3 " horns " are ver big, my wife has the GP1 on her S bars.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks.

So it looks like I'd be looking for GP3/Large/Regular so that they're not the shorter versions for use with twist shifts.

As for the horns, the bar ends I have are pretty big - TBH I use them mainly for climbing if I have a short steep section. And I do like to get forward on the bike.

I could make do with the GP2 (I think) but the 3's seem most similar to the set up I have.

This is the only pic I have to hand.

IMG_4655.jpeg

Last edited:

gizmo1994

I have GP3s on both my Bromptons. One set is thick diameter, the other is slim. I have no problem with either. You notice the difference for the first few KMs but after that then both work well. (I take size L gloves.)

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Fitted them a week or so back, but in the intervening time climbed Ben Nevis.

So last week I could hardly walk, let alone cycle.

Used them the first time this morning and I have to say that I don't like them as much as my bar ends as they're a lot smaller.

But they do look a lot neater as mine were gaffer taped up to keep the sponge grips from getting bashed.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
These were the old ones. You can see the hole in the left one.

The Ergon grips themselves are a bit shorter too, so I've left my brakes in the same place as they feel more comfortable with that spacing.

IMG_4712.jpeg

Top Bottom