"European Boulevards"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Swansea is getting a "European Boulevard". Which is to say, Swansea traffic planners have found a friendly-sounding name for a yet another bog-standard road scheme designed to offer a sop to pedestrians, cyclists, concerned citizens and residents whilst continuing with more of the same expansion of provision for cars and desperate attempts to keep the motons moving at all costs.

We've asked to see the plans (if the ones downloadable from the Council site are all that exists then Gary's crapometer is in danger of flying off the scale) and will be meeting officers who wish to "reassure both you and [your] members that the Boulevard proposals are not being progressed without further consultation", and will post further updates. I realise Swansea urban planning is a bit of a niche interest, but I'd be interested to hear about similar schemes in other places and campaigns to improve or oppose such schemes. We've been having a cosy phase with the council and local press while doing a lot of uncontroversial stuff like beginners' classes and cycling festivals, but I think we're going to have to get tougher over this one. They're getting a lot of European money for this which is doubtless match-funded by the Assembly - that'll be the same Assembly that notionally endorses the principles of Manual for Streets II and can't get enough of cycle-friendly photo-ops...

Get shot of all those poxy cobbles - they only get chucked around in violent conversations anyway. The world needs more boulevardiers. :thumbsup:

gavintc

Guru
Good luck to them, Swansea has been blighted by some pretty ugly 60's/70's planning schemes, but there are some attractive elements to the city. I hope they can pull it off. Sadly, the cynic in me thinks that this will fail before it is fully implemented through lack of funding and alternative pressures. I did my MSc in Swansea and as a result I have a soft spot for the people and the city - friendly place.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I realise Swansea urban planning is a bit of a niche interest,...
you said it.......

Jonesy is clearly your man but if I were you I wouldn't be buying the Chanel suit the occupants of these boulevards kit themselves out in at the planning stage...

Worthing. Master plan http://www.worthingr...ia,45464,en.pdf page 8 refers. Not good. For a start-off, reducing congestion by taking out the bus routes shows imagination but little intelligence. Shared surfaces to the seafront quietly abandoned in favour of a cycle path...

Cardiff Bay. You've been there. We're going there. The main drag from the City Centre to Bute Town looks like the set of 'Crash' ****-all regeneration there!
Picture1-1.png
The main commercial route to the Bay is all you'd expect of EU funding
Picture2-1.png
and the new boulevard, which was supposed to have a tramline on the old canal route now looks like this...
Picture3.png

If it's any consolation - boulevards are supposed to be about riot control (cue snaps of Paris and Barcelona). It's just possible I suppose that where the boulevards go, the riots will follow! But best not mention this to Jonesy....

ps I forgot Southend. Boulevard with cycle path = roadwidening at the expense of a park. I just happened to notice you had a park...

Top Bottom