European Tour 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

videoman

Guru
Brilliant write up and photos, read about half so far and thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

I really enjoy reading about other peoples experiences of touring.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I really enjoyed that.:okay: Many thanks for sharing it with us.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done, good read and a good trip clearly.
Reminded me very much of the rides my wife and I used to do. Chapeau.

Only part way through reading this. Very impressed. Inspiring. Congratulations to you both and thanks for the report.

One question, basis for which seems to be confirmed by a quick scan through.

The grinning guy with the beers I am assuming is a waiter, so:

no pics of you, but just of your dear wife?

you are too modest/shy?

she doesn't feel inclined to take pics of wonderful you?

you keep control of the camera? (though you have smartphones)

darker reasons?

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Yes, the guy with the beers is the waiter. All the photos are from my phone, as I have written it up while Janet was at work - I'll try her pohne and see if there any photos of me (though she doesn't take many!)

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Have now downloaded Janet's photos - and she did take just one or two featuring me:

IMG_20170516_191723.jpg

Enjoying a beer on the campsite in France

IMG_20170626_143007.jpg

The bridge at Stein am Rhien.

IMG_20170717_143837.jpg

Having a beer in Hoek van Holland.

I love the write up - it sound like a 3 month piss up around Europe.
:smile:

Yes I also like the rather ramshackle joyfulness of it all - or at least that's what I picked up in what I have read so far. That's what a holiday/trip is supposed to be. Especially on a bike.

galaxy

Veteran
Excellent holiday, excellent read, well jealous.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Just had a lovely read, what a great adventure but mainly I am so jealous of the time you have. Time is what you need for touring, not being tied to a two week maximum window. Lovely to see people who have the time making good use of it!

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks @RobinS - Fantastic. How did I not spot this when you wrote it? If you can be arsed it would be lovely to see this and future trips up on Crazy Guy on a Bike.

Also, is that a Charge Spoon on your bike (and possibly a women's version on your wife's?). I have a Koga Miyata World Traveller with a Brooks B17, and all my other bikes are equipped with Spoons. I am about to cycle across the USA and in two minds whether to use a Spoon instead.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Our Revolution Tourers came with Charge Spoons as standard, though that is what I had been using previously anyway, and it is perfect for me. Janet found it pretty good, but we got her a Charge Ladle - the womens version, and that was spot on for her.

Re maps - the overview level mapping is just in my head - I have studied maps of Europe, and travelled around enough to remember the big stuff. For the on the road navigation we just bought maps as we went along, then chucked them away when finished with (sadly the cost and hassle of posting them home was not really worth it)

Top Bottom