EV 16 on the way. The All Iberian route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not a fan of the EV routes in general and in some places cycling is so good designated "routes" can miss a lot but I thought some long term planners might be interested in this.
From Lisbon through some pretty steep hills, then Mérida (full of Roman ruins), through sparse, but stunning landscape (and hills!) to the magical, medieval Toledo, then up to Madrid, a glorious city, then across to Teruel through stunning mountains, red landscapes and empty towns, and finally up to Pamplona across Aragon and via Zaragoza.

It won't be easy! There's a whole lot of climbing and parts of that route are going to be blistering hot in the summer but it gives a very good introduction to the variety that is Spain. (Very little is in Portugal).

They say that something like 85% of the route is ready to go but that it will take until 2028 for the route to go live. Personally, I'm incredibly lucky to have some experience in most of the areas that the route covers and a signpost every now and then won't make much of a difference - Spain is a great place to cycle, bike route or no. Camping, in parts though, may be challenging.

There's a bike bus that runs from NL to Pamplona that can be joined in Brussels and Paris to get bikes down (or back). And of course, it intersects with two Camino routes, Via de la Plata (at Mérida) and the Camino Francés (in Pamplona). Teruel is on (or close to) the famous Camino del Cid (not a pilgrim route). From there it's all downhill to the Med at Valencia if you fancy a detour and a dip.

For the more adventurous (and probably lighter packers) there's no shortage of interesting gravel/off-road options in all those parts, most notably the Montañas Vacias (Empty mountains) around Teruel.

If all that isn't enough...... there's the food! So. Much. Food! ^_^

Portugal. Narrow roads, can be rough, can be very steep, but away from everyone? Pretty damn good!
IMG_20220923_190515.jpg

For my money, Extremadura (Mérida) is one of the friendliest parts of Spain and relatively lacking in tourists. But there's something about the air and the open spaces that makes magic.
IMG_20220929_201110.jpg

Approach Toledo from the right direction and you'd need to be dead not to feel a thrill. Taking a trip through the old town is like taking a trip through time.
IMG_20220421_164908.jpg

The Martian landscape around Teruel
IMG_20220613_154531.jpg

Zaragoza has, in my humble, one of the finest Plazas in all of Spain. Impossible to photograph it, though, because it's so big!! It's behind that building. Be wary of the cops though. They are not very friendly.
IMG_20220726_153226.jpg

Aragon. Generally flat and rural. Get away from the main roads and it can be very, very pleasant.
IMG_20220828_163740.jpg

Early, early morning just outside Pamplona.
P1010495.jpg

Whatever EV might say, this is how CycleTravel suggests to get in or out of Madrid

IMG_20220328_123339.jpg

And that ends this Public Service Announcement by the Spanish Bike Tourist Board ^_^

Zaragoza has, in my humble, one of the finest Plazas in all of Spain. Impossible to photograph it, though, because it's so big!! It's behind that building

It seems to have several. This one?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.655...5-ro0-fo100!7i13000!8i6500?hl=en-US&entry=ttu

(it's certainly big!)

Emanresu

Pity there is a left turn at Huesca. They could have connected with the Aragones and over the Pyrenees for those who find the flat of the meseta a little too boring.

Thanks for the tip about the bus. Flixbus in Paris? and do they sell bike bags like Alsa or do you have to provide your own? (Easy I suppose to find in a major city)

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Pity there is a left turn at Huesca
It's a line on a map. It it's illegal to not follow a route I'm a wanted man in many jurisdictions ^_^
I'm pretty sure that it heads for Pamplona for logistical reasons. Pamplona has pretty good connections. The middle of the Pyrenees not so much.
Besides, that route is not short of climbing, even excluding the Pyrenees.
As a general route it really does give a very good example of the diversity of Spain for a bike tour. A detour to Valencia for the Med and most of the "Spanish experience" is covered.

Thanks for the tip about the bus. Flixbus in Paris?
No, not Flixbus.
Check out https://www.fietsvakantiewinkel.nl/ a great shop for bike touring stuff with experienced, helpful, friendly and English speaking staff.
The link there doesn't seem to be working (probably time of year) but this seems to:
https://cycletours.nl/fietsbussen/spanje/

Bikes can be transported pretty much whole to a variety of destinations around Europe. One way or return. Buses may not be everyone's cup of tea but chances are travel will be with like minded souls.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
I trust that @HobbesOnTour has been fully consulted on the planning of this new EV?

Could you not imagine the sheer chaos (not to mention law suits) that would follow my attempt at planning a route? ^_^

My All-Iberian Bike Route would consist of:
  • Arrive in Spain. Point bike in any direction that includes Spain. Ride.
  • If not enjoying self sufficiently, pick another direction.
  • Use CycleTravel for directions.
  • If approaching Portugal don't be afraid. If approaching France turn around. ^_^ If a big ship is departing from any port for Colombia, treat yourself to a little diversion.
Satisfaction and enjoyment guaranteed ^_^

As it turns out, the route runs past a day south of me. I think it was very nice of the EV folks to plonk a new Spanish Figary under my nose.

Emanresu

You could start at Lisbon on the new EV16 to Pamplona. At Pamplona take the EV3 which I think Hobbes has done. Then at the other end of the EV3 at Santiago, you take the EV1 back to Lisbon. You'd see quite a bit of the Iberian peninsula.

Sallar55

Veteran
If you like the hills the Club des cent cols has a route down thro Spain. It roughly follows the watershed from the Pyrenees to Tarifa. Lots of National parks and quiet roads and tracks.

Emanresu

If you like the hills the Club des cent cols has a route down thro Spain. It roughly follows the watershed from the Pyrenees to Tarifa. Lots of National parks and quiet roads and tracks.

That's a lot of hills just to be accepted for membership

To join the Club des Cent Cols you must have cycled over at least 100 different mountain passes, including 5 passes over 2000 m for every 100 claimed.

Sallar55

Veteran
No need to stick to velo routes, Spain has a massive network of tracks and minor roads. El cid is good in parts and in the west the Plata route can be a mix of off road and dirt. Lots of National/regional parks can be linked up.

1000021650.png

Top Bottom