Evans Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Prasad

addictfreak said:
I have often thought about attending one of Evans organised rides.

Has anyone from this site attnend any of the rides from the Gateshead Store? If so how well organised are they? Was there many riders?

I'm thinking of joining Evans ride at this week end, in Dorking. Not sure , how it will be. Has anyone joined rides organized by Evans.

TVC

Try reposting the thread in 'Road Rides, Audax and Sportives'

As you ask, I haven't yet but was considering doing the Notts one in the Autumn.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can only imagine that they are well organised rides. Just go along and try, if you don't like it then pootle off. Nothing to lose have you.

I heard that the last one around my way was quite good. Dorking sounds like a good blast - plenty of climbing! Try - and turn away if it is not to your taste.
If you don't go - you'll only wonder about the next one...Dorking or Gateshead.
Have fun.

ajm

I've never done one before but I'm thinking about doing this Saturday's in Dorking... anybody else going?

Prasad

ajm said:
I've never done one before but I'm thinking about doing this Saturday's in Dorking... anybody else going?

I'm going to it. If Mrs joins me then will do 30 miles, 60 miles otherwise.

alinaee

i did the great missenden one few weeks back. The route was good, you get a waterproof sis map and a sis bar at the start. Its well sign posted throughout.

The only thing that could have been better was the water stops, i did the 90mile ride and there were only 2 water refill stations!!...if you want to know anymore pm me.

ajm

Prasad said:
I'm going to it. If Mrs joins me then will do 30 miles, 60 miles otherwise.

That'd be the road stuff on the Sunday then? I'm gonna go for the Saturday off-roader... any takers?

Prasad

As said, I was there on Sunday for 32 mile(as Mrs joined me).
I was totally wrong in judging hardness of ride. I've done quite a bit of other rides, so that wasn't a problem. But, for Mrs it was horrible. And I dragged her all along the way. To be fair with her, it's was very very tough on her. Imagine climbing box hill(she decided to walk for part of it) in blazing sun.

I think, route was designed keeping racing clubs in mind. As we were among very few with hybrids. And hills were very hard for novice(there were very few).

By the time we reached only water refilling station, it was empty.

In the end it wasn't like charity ride like atomosphere.
And as we were the only one lagging behind, could not enjoy beautiful surroundings.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Dorking and the Surrey Hills were always going to be a toughie.
Did you speak to the organisers at all? Ask if they did a more Pootle type ride for the less hardened? It may be an idea for you to check out your local branch of the CTC for rides. Also, if you are in Dorking yourself or there abouts, it's not far on the train into London where you can hook up with a number of organised rides, LCC. Lewisham, Kingston, Southwark etc.
Here is the link for the LCC. Then click on rides & events and local groups

Prasad

Being new to this country, I wasn't aware of terrain. I live in London. Do daily commute( 22miles round trip). But it's flat.

I do go with Pollard hill cyclist. As I find them very friendly. I live in Isleworth, but so far failed to find any club for intermediate,leisure riders in that area,

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rightio mate,
you might want to check out the Kingston Cyclists on the LCC, also our lewisham and Bromley rides, some of which, like the saturday just gone was 62 miles of extremely flat cycling with a whole mix of different people.

ajm

I did the off-road stuff on the Saturday and found the hills really tough. I did get speaking to a few other riders who had done some other Evans events, and they seemed to think that the Dorking route was considerably tougher than the other events they had been to. I guess that's just the way the land is around there though.

To answer the addictfreak's original questions though; I thought the event was very well organised with pretty clear signage around the route (with one or two exceptions notable by the massive skid marks running past junctions :biggrin:). There were around 300 riders for the off-road event (I think).

I'd certainly do another one, even though this was tough (it was my first event, I'm getting back into cycling after a few years) I really enjoyed it. Good stuff.

Top Bottom