Evenin' all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought it was about time I introduced myself. As the name suggests I've been lurking about her for a while. My story is probably a familiar one, I use to cycle a lot when I was younger (when traffic was less manic & bikes came with mudguards). I was lucky to live close to the new forest, so I spent many a happy hour on my beloved Raleigh Nimrod. Then I passed my driving test & bought an ancient Ford Anglia & the bike got forgotten.
Fast forward too many years & I rediscovered the joys of cycling buy hiring a couple of bike on holiday in Norfolk. Got home bought a bike off a neighbour, then won a voucher for local bike shop from my bank! I treated myself to a Dawes mountain bike, been out on it a few times but modern traffic scares the hell out of me, so it's been in the garage since last October. I've just found out I've got high cholesterol & blood sugar, so I think I'd better wipe the dust off the bike. Any advice for a nervous, unfit bloke the wrong side of 40 is welcome!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome Sir Lurkalot and Greetings.

The only advice that I can give (as someone who started again eighteen months ago and is probably at least a decade older than you, is take it easy to begin with. It should not be some kind of duty or chore, just a gentle pleasure, when you start. The last thing you want to do is come back home thinking "Oh Hell, I hated that". Slowly the confidence in traffic will build up and so will a modest level of fitness. After that.........well, total addiction...you are doomed.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Welcome Sir Lurkalot. (Wow a real Knight on our forum!).

Traffic confidence does take a while to build up so get out there and practice. One thing I recommend without reservation is to read "Cyclecraft". No matter how experienced you are as a road user, cycling has its own vital skills which will not be obvious to you. You can borrow it from a library or buy it on Amazon or here.

Hi and welcome Sire.

It always hard starting off - traffic,wind,hills etc - but it does get easier if persevere and well worth it as regards your fitness levels.

After a year's cycling you will be a lot fitter than the Doc!

OP
OP
S

Sir Lurkalot

Regular
Hi and welcome Sire.

It always hard starting off - traffic,wind,hills etc - but it does get easier if persevere and well worth it as regards your fitness levels.

After a year's cycling you will be a lot fitter than the Doc!

I doubt it, my Doc does bike rides for charity! :laugh:

Thanks for the welcome everyone

ZIZAG

Veteran
Hello and Welcome .
biggrin.gif

Just take your time and relax . Go out to your local area's and build up your outing's and confidence .
Everybody has to start somewhere . "Get off your rear and get Into gear".
All the problems you have I have myself . And more besides .
I also have Asthma .
wub.gif
Which is classed as a disease. I have never let It stop me at any sport .
Cycling will do you good and make you a lot healthier .
By the way I am a 65 old git who has returned to cycling ,after many years .
And I am loving It . " If I can do It so can you ". It just takes time
So all the very best .
Cheers
wave.gif

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My advice would be not to go on holiday in Norfolk.
wink.gif

Oh, about cycling?

Only one way to solve the nervousness and unfit problem, and that is to get out there and cycle. Once you've got the hang of it and started to enjoy it, then you will have a better idea as to what questions you want to ask.

Top Bottom