Excellent article on cyclists vulnerability in today's Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I think it was more getting out of the blind spot.
Best place to be is in the one blind spot mirrors won't do a thing about... that's the one directly behind the trailer!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't always like being behind a lorry (well not in the blind spot certainly) ... you never know when they suddenly need to reverse if they can't make it around a corner in one go. I've certainly had multiple lorries trying to reverse towards me - I guess that is the problem with narrow roads and really parked up roads. (Stopped on route this morning to praise the policeman who was ticketing a lorry parked on a blind corner - I've often had problems there as a result of cars not seeing me due to badly parked vehicles).

GrasB

Veteran
The rearward blind spot on a lorry is huge. You don't sit with your nose against the rear doors but keep a reasonable distance back so when the lorry starts to reverse you'll have plenty of time to get out of the way. The problem with positioning your self in a visible position behind the lorry is that you'll normally end up in no mans land between cars & no options. Centre lane with a car length or two between you & the lorry gives you options.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm still here so I usually manage to position myself OK - and yes on a daily basis I tell my youngest about lorries since we usually encounter them on the school run. If I'm behind a lorry I if stationary I usually like to sit on the right hand side so that the driver's mirror is visible. But if a lorry overtakes you on approaching the lights you don't have much option to put another car between you. (Lots of lorries on my routes unfortunately apart from at the weekend, and that's why my 11 son doesn't cycle to school on his own. I'm quite happy to hold up traffic rather than risk going behind a lorry that looks as though it might reverse into the same junction as I'm going).

GrasB

Veteran
See if I put my self to the right far enough out that I'm visible I end up with a car's wing about 2" from my left foot. Result is I have to pull away between a car close to my left & oncoming traffic on my right.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
See if I put my self to the right far enough out that I'm visible I end up with a car's wing about 2" from my left foot. Result is I have to pull away between a car close to my left & oncoming traffic on my right.

Sometimes situation allows on an upright bike of having the bike point off to the right, thus keeping your head able to see his offside mirror, and the rear of your bike still owning the space so the car can't get in there. The disadvantage is that you might not be able get out of the way as quick, and it doesn't work on a lowracer recumbent.

GrasB

Veteran
Doesn't work on a high racer either. It also puts the idea in the mind of some motorists that you're turning right which isn't a good thing if you're going straight on. I found being about at least 1.5 cars length back & dead centre of the lane gives the most options (including a quick u-turn) if the lorry stars reversing etc.

Top Bottom