Exhaustion After Sickness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I had gastrointeritis on Monday. 24 hours of explosiveness at both ends and an inability to keep anything down. I've since recovered, in that I can now eat and drink and whatnot, but I'm totally exhaused - I tried going out on the bike last night and managed about 100yds (was doing 13 mile rides this time last week). I'm an impatient bugger when it comes to my health. Has anyone else has this? How long did it take you to return to fitness?

Glover Fan

Never ever rush back, it is not admirable and will not win you any prizes. I take a week off even if I have a cold. For something like you had I'd be looking at a fortnight to let your body fully recover.

Remember you body is an amazing piece of work, but it is not a machine. For all intents and purposes your immune system has just gone through some trauma.

carolonabike

I agree. I had gastroenteritis once, 25 years ago and I can still vividly remember how bad I felt, ooh, it was so horrible. It took me a fortnight to feel back to normal. If you rush it and do too much too soon it will just take you longer to recover properly.

It is frustrating but you won't lose much, if any fitness in two weeks. And when you do get back on your bike, take it easy the first couple of rides!:smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I had my wisdom teeth out in April under a GA. I didn't feel up to riding for a fortnight and it took several weeks to get back up to speed.

Glad you're feeling better, anyhow.

Top Bottom