Exped inflatable mats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelnorris

I've read many good reviews of the Exped inflatable range so I think I'm going to buy one. I'm thinking an Airmat rather than the down/synthetic insulated versions because I prefer to have a secondary foam mat underneath the groundsheet to protect it from sharp pebbles etc, which provides extra insulation anyway.

My question is if anyone has used one of these is do I want the version that comes with a pump? Is the valve suitable for example to attach a bike pump to? After experiencing home use inflatable beds I don't imagine that breath alone is enough to get sufficient pressure into the camping versions to make them properly comfortable.

7 quid plus the extra weight, is it worth it?

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/airmat_7_5_the_added_value_air_mattress/

just jim

I've just got back from a short mission to try out some new stuff, one piece of "kit" being an Exped Synmat 7. it was very comfy and not as pricy as the Downmat version. Wouldn't like to puncture it, but it comes with a repair kit. The mat comes with an intergrated pump so it's simpler than the previous version to inflate - I would go for this if your budget allows.

OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

Thanks for that, the synmat really does look the part. 60 quid is a big difference though and I'm a bit strapped to be honest.

OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

A full size Exped packs smaller than those 3/4 Gelerts, and is the same weight. Plus almost twice the thickness when inflated. For some reason the full length Gelert ones seem to balloon in weight, an extra 1/4 length almost doubles the weight from 520g to nearly a kg. I think that the extra inch and a half of padding sounds to be worth the tenner though.

jay clock

Massive member
I have an Exped Downmat 7 and it is a stunning piece of kit. AMAZING. The bag/pump thingy works a treat, and I slept like a log on my tour in France. 100x better than my Thermarest

OP
OP
nigelnorris

nigelnorris

bikepacker said:
I have just got the latest Exped price-list from the importers. Both Synmat and Downmat have gone up around 20% due to the weak £.
I saw that at one place the prices had gone up though didn't know why. PITA, wish I'd bought at the lower price but I'm stuck waiting till payday. Hopefully there will still be some stores with original stock and original prices in two weeks time.

In fact the link I posted at the top still has them at £10 below rrp so fingers crossed.

snorri

Legendary Member
nigelnorris said:
Thanks for that, the synmat really does look the part. 60 quid is a big difference though and I'm a bit strapped to be honest.
Have you tried the foam mat alone?
I used to lie on the full length mat and found that quite adequate, but now fold the mat so that my body is lying on a double thickness of foam, and find it perfectly comfortable for a good night of sleep. The foam mat has a big weight advantage too;):biggrin:

Top Bottom