Experienced city cyclists, do you hang back at junctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

I tend to sit in the middle of the lane and take my turn unless there is a massive queue. In which case I will gradually filter down the outside (occasionally the inside) and stop a few vehicles back from the lights, usually trying to get eye contact with the driver behind me. If there is a gap I will slot in otherwise I will sit to the side. The fact that it usually takes a driver a few seconds to pull away usually means a gap will emerge between vehicles for me to drop into - accompanied with a wave of thanks to the driver behind

My experience of city cycling is limited to Dublin and Edinburgh but I usually play it by ear (so as to speak):

If I know that I'm going to get through the lights when they go green I'll just sit in the queue in the primary and not think about it any further.

If I can't get through the lights though (the queues too long) I think about how I can get through to an ASL if there is one, if there isn't I'll just wait.

Occaisionally though when I have to get somewhere in a short time though I tend to do more of the latter and when I've got more time I tend to more of the former.

There are occaisionally 'must overtake cyclist' robots on my route and when they come to a queue, I end up filtering through :whistle:

zand3r

:biggrin: Man.. I wish zimbabwe had 1% of the cycling population you guys have.. I will see maybe 2 or 3 cyclists in the morning, and 1 or 2 in the evening! I cycle 14-16km each way. :tongue:

Even on weekends, its rare to see large groups of cyclists. the most cyclists i have seen on any one day was about 14, and that was a local club training for the argus! :laugh:

Top Bottom