Experienced Cyclist - Lower Back Pain...Solved (hopefully!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what the GP says...I do have the option of BUPA through work health insurance, so that might be the way to go.
Bupa provide a free private GP or physio service though Babylon, might be worth looking into for a quick physio referral.
There‘s an excellent physio in Woking (and Sutton) if you need a recommendation given your location (or alternatively a chiropractor a friend of mine swears by...who is extremely picky when it comes to medics)

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
How much stretching do you do after riding? I need to really stretch for a while after a good bike ride otherwise I do feel it in my back next day. Stems from 20 years of Muay Thai and resultant hip and back injury.

OP
OP
Steve_S1

Steve_S1

Regular
Hey all,

Good news...my back is feeling a whole lot better! ^_^

Whilst trawling through YouTube videos for fixing lower back pain, I learned about the Quadratus Lumborum (QL) back muscles and how you can work them to relieve back pain...I looked further and tried several different stretching techniques and hey presto, the pain is almost entirely gone! This Livestrong video contained a couple of effective stretches that worked for me:

View: https://youtu.be/py-qXCuFzaA

I also followed some advice and lowered my saddle by 5mm, and that also felt better during / after riding, although I've only done a 60km ride so far. Fingers crossed I might have fixed the issue....let's see next time I do a century ride, hopefully this weekend.

Finally, I've added some lumbar support to my desk chair and a foot rest, so I'm more comfortable while sitting.

Cheers for all the feedback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom