Eye watering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear spectacles but also find that my eyes water when cycling fast. I've asked around but nobody seems to know the answer. Can I find wrap around goggles to fit over my glasses, and which protect my eyes form watering?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Some cheap safety glasses might work.

I ended up getting some prescription cycling glasses- although they are an improvement on my regular glasses enough air gets around them on a really fast descent to start my eyes watering, maybe some glasses are just shaped better or fit the face in such a way to minimize this but I guess there's no easy way to find out.

ASC1951

Guru
You may have to bite the bullet and get specific wrap-around cycling glasses with prescription lenses.

Lots of us here use www.optilabs.co.uk Excellent service, but not cheap and some people don't get on with the frame fitting. I've always been very happy with mine. No eye watering even downhill at 85 kph!

OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

Bite the bullet? Sheesh they are expensive. I wear vari-focals anyway so that would be a further £180-ish. Nor would I have polycarbonate lenses ever again after my last two pairs got badly scratched within weeks and cost me a packet to replace. So much for the extra surface protection. Thanks for the advice though.

Garz

Squat Member
Soon as I use standard 'sunglasses-shaped-object' whether its a £2.99 aldi pair or my PBK ones the wind factor for eyes watering is prevented. If you need to see as you require prescription lenses also then I would take HLaBs advice.

OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

I have considered contact lenses as well as laser treatment but I have the wrong sort of sight problems - both long and short sighted. My wife wears contacts and frequently is plagued with dust getting in her eyes.

I could consider a swimming face mask but omitting the snorkel:biggrin:

garrilla

Paul Narramore said:
I could consider a swimming face mask but omitting the snorkel:biggrin:

Please post a review with photos.

As above, I had same problem as you. Got a nice pair of cheapish wraparounds from optilabs - as a one off they worked with my local opticians who were really impressed with their glazing method.

You need good protection for your eyes and normal specs just don't do it.

These http://www.bmyhre.no/nettbutikk/briko_dart_racing/122/vis_prod/141 are popular with cross-country skiers, but are pricey - £90 - although cheaper ones are probably available somewhere.

Davidc

Guru
HLaB said:
Have you ever tried contact lenses? I use the daily disposable ones with cheaper wrap around sun glasses.

I've used fortnightly ones that way, and am changing over to daily disposable ones so will find out what they're like.

From my experience DON'T use contact lenses on their own. Dust gets in, causes eye irritation, and writes the lenses off.

I use proper sports sunglasses from JJB with them, which also keep the insects out. Mind, I do need a new pair at present as I acidentally trod on the last ones several weeks ago.

If not using the contacts I use my glasses with a band which holds them on.

ASC1951

Guru
Paul Narramore said:
Sheesh they are expensive. I wear vari-focals anyway so that would be a further £180-ish. Nor would I have polycarbonate lenses ever again after my last two pairs got badly scratched within weeks and cost me a packet to replace.
Yes, they are pricey, although not much more than a pair of standard spectacles of similar quality.

I get round the scratching problem by always using the handy cloth pouch provided and the lenses last me as long as the prescription does, which is 2-3 years these days. I've always found glass lenses rather heavy and I prefer the safety of polycarbonate when I'm cycling.

I really need varifocals, too, but can still get away with it for cycling by having those set to 2+ metres. If my close vision gets bad enough to require correction, I'd have the same problem as you, so I'd be interested to hear what solution you come up with.

Top Bottom