'Fairer' Drug Taking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Blonde said:
Just about all drugs have side effects, including illegal drugs as well as legal hormone replacment therapies, the contraceptive pill, stimulents like caffeine and nicotine and so-called 'natural' remedies and supplements. That doesn't stop many people from using them though, whether legal in the UK or not.

Doh.

I thought it might be useful to add some facts to inform this discussion as to the sorts of risks involved in allowing use of the drugs in question for competition. Clearly not!

I know, let's make it cycling fairer by allowing everyone to put motors on their bikes, if they want to.;)

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

Yay! Hang on, isn't that already a sport? ;)

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

What's got to me recently is how in some sports (golf for one) they dont even test for anything so you can take whatever you like.. whys that? I'd have thought that human growth hormone and steroids would be useful in golf but no one seems bothered about testing for it or reporting anything to the media. Also Basketball seems to be very lenient about what is allowed, and there are different rules about what you can and can't use in the US to in Europe. That's why I suggested that in the future it is possible that the sport could split into two camps - it's already happened in other sports.

rustychisel

Thank you Tim, I think you've covered most of my thoughts eloquently.

Now, what about some of the medical staff, who seem to be acting as Hippocratic Oafs and should be held accountable for their actions and advice. As, has been suggested, the team DS' and managers. Interestingly, the point in the original article about about controlled medical usage to establish the 'parameters' (it's about 4 pages back) would result only in many more deaths until 'benchmarks' were established. It's a complete abrogation of responsibility, especially if the athletes in question lack the capacity to come back from the dead and say 'but I trusted my doctor'. It belies common sense to suggest such a thing.

Top Bottom