Faraday Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When i bought my first keyless entry/start car two years ago i also bought a faraday box to leave the key fob in it.
Recently i went to test the box again and with the fob in the box by the door i couldn't unlock the car but went i took the box into the car, pressing the push button started the car up surerly that's not suppose to happen?

Bristolian

How did you unlock the car to get inside? If you used the fob and then put it back in the box you may have started the car before it had realised the fob wasn't there any more. There has to be a small time delay to prevent the car shutting down should the communication between car and fob fail during normal driving.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wss a skipper on an autocrime team for a while, and one of my new neighbours is the current skipper on the same team.

There's little evidence that the boxes or pouches work, or at least work very well. There are plenty of examples of stolen cars despite such tactics being used, including the car of the wife of Edmund King, the cycle hating AA chief.

Even if it appears to work with your own DIY testing, Johnny Scumbag will use a directional antenna and signal booster to beef up the signal to well in excess of such a devices ability to resist, and then use a hyper sensitive receiver to sniff for the slightest return signal.

There are three sensible tactics.

Choose a car in which the keys deactivate if not physically moved for a short period of time, for example, BMWs and Volvos since MY 2022. When the key switches off they become inert and won't respond to any signal boosting or sniffing attempts, and only wake up when physically moved again.

Use a disklok.

Put it in a garage.

Or all three of the above.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Amazing the technology on modern cars.

I get blisters from using the swinging handle on mine.

Quite, brother in law has a faraday pouch for his keys. WTF. Modern cars are shoot.

Get this, you physically have to have the key for my car, you can't steal it without the key being right there, in the car, not inside the blooming house. What idiot thought keyless entry was a good idea, and implemented it on every new car, bumping up insurance costs... hmm....

mustang1

Guru
On a Merc, press button to lock car. Press it again to deactivate the sensors which means you have to use a physical key to get inside the car. This feature is could be used at night time and it reverted back to"remote control" mode the following morning.

Tesla has pin to drive and everyone with that car should use it.

Land rover products have a key sequence but I heard this can be overridden easily.

Some Ferraris allow you to enter the car using keyless but you have to start it with physical key.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
How did you unlock the car to get inside? If you used the fob and then put it back in the box you may have started the car before it had realised the fob wasn't there any more. There has to be a small time delay to prevent the car shutting down should the communication between car and fob fail during normal driving.
I did what you suggested and the car started but when i tried to turn it off the engine it recognised that there wasn't a key present.I then opened the box to turn off the engine,shut the box again left it for about thirty seconds tried the push button again and it wouldn't start.
Thanks for the advice :okay:
I wss a skipper on an autocrime team for a while, and one of my new neighbours is the current skipper on the same team.

There's little evidence that the boxes or pouches work, or at least work very well. There are plenty of examples of stolen cars despite such tactics being used, including the car of the wife of Edmund King, the cycle hating AA chief.

Even if it appears to work with your own DIY testing, Johnny Scumbag will use a directional antenna and signal booster to beef up the signal to well in excess of such a devices ability to resist, and then use a hyper sensitive receiver to sniff for the slightest return signal.

There are three sensible tactics.

Choose a car in which the keys deactivate if not physically moved for a short period of time, for example, BMWs and Volvos since MY 2022. When the key switches off they become inert and won't respond to any signal boosting or sniffing attempts, and only wake up when physically moved again.

Use a disklok.

Put it in a garage.

Or all three of the above.
I am thinking of buying a Ford Puma at the end of the year and i think Ford use the deactivation method,
I have a driveway but no garage.
Thanks for the advice :okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
Quite, brother in law has a faraday pouch for his keys. WTF. Modern cars are shoot.

Get this, you physically have to have the key for my car, you can't steal it without the key being right there, in the car, not inside the blooming house. What idiot thought keyless entry was a good idea, and implemented it on every new car, bumping up insurance costs... hmm....

I like my cars as basic and simple as they can be. I don't like most of the technology in modern cars.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get this, you physically have to have the key for my car, you can't steal it without the key being right there, in the car...

You can with an original Nissan Testbook/Consult unit. Not many about now, but they do crop up on ebay from time to time.

418bf3c1-e637-4564-9289-ebadaa35da66.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
LGet this, you physically have to have the key for my car, you can't steal it without the key being right there, in the car, not inside the blooming house.
Not always the case… my car got nicked off my drive in the middle of the night. The scum didn’t have the key…indeed I think I probably have it still somewhere :rolleyes:

Hicky

Guru
The advantage of having a bit of a banger....even with a key you can't be 100% sure you can drive it away.^_^

Top Bottom