Farting in the peleton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

How does one? I mean, politely. I have the fartiest backside known to mankind this morning - sound and fury only, fortunately odorously insignificant. I had to sit at the back when I felt the gut tighten... and hopefully time it with some other noise, car etc.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I just raise myself up off the saddle slightly and let rip. Hopefully there is enough space between me and the saddle so there is no reverberation:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Y

yello

Seriously though, it was beyond a joke. I'm not talking the 'one-off' here. I was chuffing and parping with embarrassing regularity and vociferousness. No idea why; nothing in the diet of late to cause it. I was seriously considering packing in and going home.

Monkey Boy

Aye, didn't seem to notice eh Alecetc?....you know he will get you back some day soon.

I've always tried to quietly squeeze one out hoping that nobody notices. Now I know the propper etiquette I need to go practice.

Uncle Mort said:
... say something like "better out than in". Keeping Sunday special :blush:

"In church or chapel
Let it rattle"
As my dear old mother used to say as she "shot the cat".

atbman

Veteran
In fact the current style of bike shorts owes its existence to this factor. They were once much more brief until a tragic disaster in the 1923 Tour of Albania. It would appear that, due to the rather primitive food preparation conditions, excess abdominal gas was the norm. However, this was not too much of a problem until they were riding along a narrow, cliff edge road above the Adriatic.

As some of you may know, early cyclists often smoked, even while riding. You can imagine what happened when one of them lit up in circumstances as described above. An enormous explosion ripped thro' the peloton and loosened some rock above the road and almost the entire race was thrown into the sea.

Cycle clothing manufacturers sought to deal with this potential problem by increasing the length of the legs and the height of the waist of shorts. The advertising slogan for the new shorts was later ripped off by a lager brewer - "High knickers breach the farts that other pairs cannot reach"

Top Bottom