Fast and comfortable cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m_j_sykes

Run a Giant OCR Team and an Orange EVO2. It's probably the effect of the road surfaces and middle age however I am just never get comfortable when I am on the Giant 'road' machine. Love the EVO whether on or off road. Cant fit bigger tyres than 25mm to the Giant and frankly I run out of gears on occassion. Looking for a decent fast day (or two) ride machine that is comfortable and has low enough gears that I can use when I am tired, say 50 miles and above - my knees have always hated big gears regardless of age, I prefer to spin the cranks faster. Hanker for a custom bike but perhaps too much cash then again one there's no pockets in shrouds. Maybe buy a second set of wheels for the EVO with skinny tires. I guess I want the comfort of the MTB with a dash of speed. Thoughts?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/fargo-09-34828

and indeed a pile of bastardized crap
...what do I know...

bonk man

I have got a Van Nicholas Amazon and would recommend it as a really comfy day in day out ride, much better than my Giant TCR in that respect and pretty swift when called upon... plus it is great off road.

I have just written a review of it in the review section... :wacko:

OP
OP
M

m_j_sykes

The Amazon looks promising, what wheel and tyre combo do you run to give you the fast day ride and say an old railway line or trail?

LeeW

I have a Challenge Fujin SLII which is fast, comfortable and lightweight (19lbs for the version I have). I have mine setup with a 53/39/26 triple up front and 12-27 rear which means I can get up almost any hill while still spinning a fast cadence. I rode etape caledonia on it this year and it easily got up Schiehallion at about 18%.
I ride on 28mm tyres (schwalbe stelvio, 406 front and 559 rear) and the frame has some passive flex in it making for a comfy ride but without feeling spongy under power.

http://www.challenge-ligfietsen.nl/publichtml/index.php?language=en&selection=lowracers-fujinsl2-en

jpembroke

I used to have a Planet X Kaffenback and found that an excellent bike for all day riding. Not the quickest up hill but so comfortable. I think if I wanted a bike for long distance, sportives etc then I'd consider getting another one. Really regret selling that frame.

bonk man

m_j_sykes said:
The Amazon looks promising, what wheel and tyre combo do you run to give you the fast day ride and say an old railway line or trail?

To be honest I just use a pair of cheapo Shimano 500 wheels and Conti Gatorskin 25 or 28 mm generally in the summer and I have a pair of basic 36 spoke touring wheels with 32mm touring tyres for the winter when the going is rough and the pace not so challenging :whistle:
Went off road today on the club ride with the former combination of wheels and tyres, no problem, just be aware of big rocks that might give you a pinch puncture. Most wheels these days are far better than the bendy things we had 15 years ago that broke spokes if they so much as looked at a bridleway:laugh:

Royalrider

Hi,
I also have a Van Nic Amazon which I run with DRC S touring rims and Cont Gators- 28c. They are absolutely fine on tracks, recently did C2C mainly the roads but no problem on the Waskerley Way which is stoney and rutted to say the least and plenty quick enough on the roads. On the Great Nottingham 50 mile ride a few weeks ago the bike effortlessly glided along after we latched onto the back of a few boys who had done the 100 mile sportive, admittedly they had done twice as far as us but 23 mph on the flat for a few miles was not difficult. It is my ability that is the limiting factor not the bike !!

Top Bottom