Fat peds are bouncy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bokonon

Über Member
As I found out by hitting one this evening.

I was riding in primary in the main carriageway towards the end of a queue of slowing traffic. As soon as the car at the end of the queue stopped, a bloke jumped out of the passenger side. I thought it lucky no-one was going down the cycle lane at that point because anyone who was would have been severely doored. The traffic, including the last car, started moving off so I started accelerating to join in the flow, at which point the bloke just ran full tilt across the road without looking - he was concentrating on a bus on the other side of the road that he was trying to catch.

3 brakes got jammed on hard as I turned sideways on to him. I hit him fairly lightly - he remained standing and I slowly fell over. I now have light road rash on my elbow, thigh and shin (not sure how I did that last one.) The bike seems OK, and the bloke, despite looking a bit confussed, seemed OK. He checked I was OK and then got in the queue for his bus.

You would have thought that someone in their forties would have learnt how to safely cross a road by now. If the road had been clear allowing me to go a lot faster, or if it had been a car bearing down on him, it could have been quite nasty. Oh well, sorry for posting more doom and gloom in commuting but it is my second worst incident in 13 years of cycle commuting...

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Stupid idiot - there's just no point risking it all to catch a bus is there? Glad you are okay though!

... and I have to say I LOVE the heading of your thread - still laughing!!

snakehips

London buses are bouncy as well but that's another story.
I have never hit a ped despite some impressive efforts made by said creatures to get hit (seemingly).
I had a nasty moment once with an old lady winding her way through a traffic jam. I timed my arrival to miss her OK but realised at the last moment that she was pulling a wheeled shopping basket. That would have been nasty.

regards.jpg
from.jpg
snakehips.jpg

Brahan

Über Member
Wigsie said:
Did you say "thank you for eating all the pies and cushioning the impact" ?

More like, 'Thank you for dedicating a huge proportion of your life to sitting down and eating as many pies as humanly possible'.

Maybe Bokonon has a really important contribution to the survival of the planet and this fat bloke's whole life was designed to being soft and flabby to make sure that he was protected..........(must lay off the wine during Friday lunch) ;)

I just have a vision of you dissapearing into his soft fleshy folds, where only your back wheel is visible.

col

Legendary Member
They seem very single minded when trying to catch a bus dont they.
Many years ago I was cycling down a one way street and someone walked straight out in front of me looking the wrong way, I had enough time to throw my bike to the side, but my body didnt move in time and barged straight into them, they went down then me and my bike on top. I think they had a broken leg, luckily for me there were a lot of people as witnesses, I was 17 at the time and shocked to say the least.

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Brahan said:
More like, 'Thank you for dedicating a huge proportion of your life to sitting down and eating as many pies as humanly possible'.

Maybe Bokonon has a really important contribution to the survival of the planet and this fat bloke's whole life was designed to being soft and flabby to make sure that he was protected..........(must lay off the wine during Friday lunch) :surrender:

I just have a vision of you dissapearing into his soft fleshy folds, where only your back wheel is visible.

Me important? You're giving me a whole new perspective on life!

I actually managed to remain calm and polite during the incident, and reminded the bloke that he really ought to look before crossing the road.

If I had been absorbed by the flabby folds of the target it would have been an even more painless, if somewhat gross, experience. Beer on a Friday lunch time is a much better option :welcome:;)

I thought I'd go the Cannon Street :smile: way tonight as I was feeling saucy.I knew what to expect this time after the last time,but it wasn't too bad.

A ped tonight at Stratford looked but I could see she hadn't clicked so I gave her a blast of the horn.So obviously her ears were a-ok even if her eyes were defective.

Batzman

Must be the time of year or something - I was coming along in primary when I saw a couple of peds waiting to cross the road, one looks the other way.. looks in my direction - I SWEAR SHE SAW ME!! (Grrr), looks back the other way and walks straight out in front of me, fortunately I was only doing about 15mph and my yell combined with the sound of a locked-up rear tyre got her to look in the right direction... I am now afraid of peds.

Top Bottom