Feedback required on trailer bikes/Trail-Gator for University project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm a student at Loughborough University in my final year of a product design degree; as part of this I must redesign an existing product or invent something completely new. I have decided to focus on Trailer Bikes and, in particular, improving the tow bar concept used by the Trail-Gator.

I like the fact that the Trail-Gator adds flexibility and allows the child to have freedom, as well giving them the option to be hooked on when tired. Has anyone had any particularly bad experiences with this product?

I've heard and read that they can be really awkward to fit; is there a particular aspect of the design that is most troublesome?

I have managed to get my hands on a second hand Trail-Gator and, having looked closely at it, feel that it actually appears quite cheap - anyone agree? Has anyone had any concerns over the quality of it when in use?

If you have any further input unrelated to the questions above then I would be hugely grateful! Looking for ways of improving what is already on the market...

There is a remarkably well made German product which achieves the same thing as the (yes you are right, it's cheap and nasty) Trailgator - I'll see if I can track it down...

In the meantime there is this:
Streamliner_gruen_2010_1120x560_01.png

Shame that their website isn't as good as their bikes - it converts into a bicycle, not the sort of operation that you'd do during a ride but interesting..

OP
OP
G

GeorgeS

Regular
Thanks again mickle!

If you know of anyone else who might have had some interesting experiences with products like that Trail-Gator then could you please get them to be in touch. Very grateful for the help already

OP
OP
G

GeorgeS

Regular
If people have some answers to any of the following questions that would be great!

· Have you had previousexperience with the Trail-Gator product?

· If yes, how do you feel itcompares with the more traditional Trailer Bikes?

· If no, do you know of anyonewho has and what experiences they have had with it?

· What do you see as theadvantages and disadvantages of the Trailer Bikes and Trail-Gator designs?

· A possible concern with theseproducts is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I amconsidering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts onthis?

· Have you got any further commentsyou would like to make about these products and ways of improving them?

· Have you had previousexperience with the Trail-Gator product?

Yes - my son used his bike hitched onto a Trail-Gator for a few years when he was smaller.

· If yes, how do you feel itcompares with the more traditional Trailer Bikes?

No idea - never tried anything else.

· If no, do you know of anyonewho has and what experiences they have had with it?

No.

· What do you see as theadvantages and disadvantages of the Trailer Bikes and Trail-Gator designs?

The main advantage of the Trail-Gator is that it allows you to use an existing bike, rather than being left with a useless half a bike. So a child then can use their bike on their own, when they feel able to.

· A possible concern with theseproducts is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I amconsidering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts onthis?

I never had any concerns about my son being behind me. The very nature of the overall contraption of the 2 cyclists close together catches motorists eyes as being something different, and so less likely to be missed. I don't think a side by side design would be a good idea due to the increased width, which on many of the UK's narrow country lanes would be an issue It would also make it unusable in towns and cities during rush hour nor would you be able to negotiate any restricted width barriers.

· Have you got any further commentsyou would like to make about these products and ways of improving them?

The only minor niggle I had with the Trail-Gator was the amount of leaning which could be induced - both riders have to be aware of what's happening when you go round corners or sharp bends. It was also a bit unnerving if my son decided to wriggle about a bit.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies already, much appreciated.

I am getting into the concept development stage of my project now and just had some questions relating to bags...

When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child?

I am considering adding some form of storage aspect to my design, possibly that then acts as a mud guard... any thoughts?

Thanks again!

When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?

I don't think I bothered with a bag generally. If we'd gone out somewhere in the car with the bikes, it would just be for a little pootle, so wouldn't require a bag.

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?

When riding out from home, I can recall using a rucksack a few times, to carry drinks and locks.

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child?

It wasn't a problem to look over my shoulder. I guess if someone did have any major concerns, you can get quite cheaply little mirrors to fit onto bar ends or forks so you can see behind you.

I am considering adding some form of storage aspect to my design, possibly that then acts as a mud guard... any thoughts?

I think you're adding complications here (and extra weight), and the sorts of utility bikes that would be used would normally already have mudguards.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi FD,

thanks for getting back to me!

I have noticed with many trailer bikes that they either come with or it is easy enough to fit a mudguard to the product itself - the trail-gator on the other hand doesn't appear to have this feature. did you not have any problems with this is in slightly damp conditions?

If you don't feel storage is necessary, are there any extra features that you would like to see?

Not really - my bike had mudguards anyway, so using the trail-gator wouldn't cause any issues in the damp. The child's front wheel is raised, so that's off the ground.

I'll be honest, and say I'm not sure there's much that can be done to improve the basic concept of the trail-gator design. It has an adjustable boom, you can unclip the main part and fold it down, and leave the other part bolted on the child's bike.

Leon Gierat

HI George - still interested, or is too late now?

I have just got one of these, having been a previous trailer bike user. I've got some opinions, and also at least one idea on how you could improve the current design...

OP
OP
G

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi Leon, Thanks for replying to the post. However, I have now completed the project and so no longer require any further assistance. I actually ended up designing a new kind of kids bike that allows the product to grow with the child. Cheers, George

Top Bottom