Fen Skating - Anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No, and I don't think I ever will.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm always envious of people effortlessly skating. I've always been scared of falling on ice
I only tried once and spent the whole session falling over and grabbing the handrail at the side of the ice rink.

Some teenage boys were showing off to teenage girls by skating at them at high speed, jumping up, twisting in the air and landing sideways on to them and spraying the girls with ice as they came to a halt. How totally immature! (Damn impressive skating though... :laugh:)

A friend who lives a couple of villages along has been skating on the overspill from the Ouse washes this winter. Been a while since I've skated alas. And in any case, I've misplaced my skates :sad:

presta

Guru
I've only tried skating once, and that was when a group of us hired a bus and went up to Peterborough rink. I spent all my time clinging to the side until a couple of the girls took pity on me, grabbed an arm each, and led me round.

gbb

Legendary Member
It seems to me its waning in popularity, 30+ years ago there'd be photos and articles in local papers about it. Never really seen it mentioned in years....but perhaps its still out there and popular under the radar.
Used to love ice skating, coming from Nottingham plus Peterborough has a quite good history with its rink.
Roller skating was really popular here in maybe the 90s, the Wirrina used to do Saturday afternoons, music booming out, a really good family atmosphere.
I was always good at speed round either rink...but never mastered stopping :laugh:
Couldn't envisage doing either now, bones wouldn't take it.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'd give it a go.

I spent a good chunk of my youth ice skating and loved it. Now it's the turn of my kids so dad gets to hit the ice again. Falling hurts more than I remember.

Some teenage boys were showing off to teenage girls by skating at them at high speed, jumping up, twisting in the air and landing sideways on to them and spraying the girls with ice as they came to a halt. How totally immature! (Damn impressive skating though... :laugh:)

We never did anything like that :whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'll put that on the bucket list..very safe on the fens too cf a big deep lake.

I was taught to ice skate by my big sisters french penpal at Billingham forum.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In principle it seems like a pretty nice way to spend one's time... probably no good for me though as I can't skate for toffee..

Top Bottom