Ferry disruption Isle of Mull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There will be a passenger only ferry service from 21st October to 1st December on Lochaline/Fishnish. In the small print it says no bicycles will be carried due to handling restrictions whatever that means. The only access will be Tobermory/Kilchoan or Oban/Craignure. Given the number of cancellations on the Oban route last year when the Fishnish ferry kept running we may be in for an “interesting “ couple of months.

Slick

Guru
Do we know why? Seems quite an extended period to be running such a restricted service. Do many foot passengers use that service?

robing

Über Member
Did a lovely loop using this ferry in April. It was a gorgeous day. From Tobermory got the ferry to Kilchoan, then cycled through Ardnamurchan, around Loch Sunart and over the Morven pensinula (where I saw a pair of golden eagles) to catch the ferry back to Fishnish.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Robring I have done the same route from Tobermory. Nice run but a bit undulating.
The vehicle ferry is withdrawn as the slipway and other infrastructure at Lochaline is being replaced. This is reckoned to be the least inconvenient time to do the works just after the fxxxx rally. No idea what vessel will be used but if a woebegone touring cyclist did appear at Lochaline they would probably do their best to help. Don’t quote me on that as it is probably some elfin safety inspector’s dictat.
Slick yes quite a few foot passengers use this service.
I posted this in case any touring cyclists were thinking of this route and could divert early to Kilchoan.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I posted this in case any touring cyclists were thinking of this route and could divert early to Kilchoan.
A useful warning - thanks.

I imagine that tourist numbers will be dropping away at that time of year, so probably the best time to do it?

I've been across from Oban a few times and wondered what people do if the last ferry of the day were to be cancelled for some reason. I wouldn't fancy hanging about outside overnight in cycling kit, but I imagine that it could be difficult to find last minute accommodation for hundreds of stranded ferry passengers!

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
ColinJ stranded passengers are expected to fend for themselves and if weather related at their own expense. In bad weather only those with urgent appointments will generally be travelling so not that many. If a breakdown causes cancellation it is Calmac who pay reasonable expenses but I think it is DIY otherwise.I have had refund of fuel costs when having to divert via Lochaline which is an 80 mile trip plus Corran Ferry costs. Most of us get text alerts of possible problems from Calmac so can plan accordingly.
If planning a trip involving ferries it could be wise to register for a short time to get those text messages. You can do it free from the Calmac website.

ColinJ

I only go up every couple of years to visit the Scottish side of my family but I will certainly check before using the ferries again.

My cousin sometimes does a loop from the Connel area to Oban, ferry to Craignure, north on Mull to catch the other ferry, then round to the Corran ferry and back down towards Connel. A bit much for me, but he is superfit!

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
ColinJ. There is currently a summer small ferry which goes from Tobermory to Drimnin which I believe will take bikes. This could be used as a circular route of less than 40 miles. Not used it myself as never seem to get round to it. It would be best to book space as number of passengers carried will not be high.

robing

Über Member
There's a Cal Mac status app where you can quickly see how all the ferries are running - plus all the timetables are there. Provided you can get a phone signal of course - though there is free Wi Fi at all Cal Mac ferry terminals afiak.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Status App is only on Wi-fi and you have to make the effort to check each one required. The text message service comes to you and keeps you updated on specified routes. Easier I think than looking for Wi-fi and searching through the list. Most regular travellers I know use the text service. It can be on your phone only for as long as required and then automatically lapses. In any case it has to be renewed every 6 months.

ColinJ

ColinJ. There is currently a summer small ferry which goes from Tobermory to Drimnin which I believe will take bikes. This could be used as a circular route of less than 40 miles. Not used it myself as never seem to get round to it. It would be best to book space as number of passengers carried will not be high.
Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. I haven't confirmed plans with my family, but there is a chance that we will be up there again in 2020.

I still haven't done the full circuit of Mull. I've done the southern loop twice, including one diversion down to Bunessan. (I was feeling ill that day, which distracted me, and somehow I didn't take the right turn up the B8035 ... I kept wondering why the sea was on my right rather than my left, but it took me 20 kms to work it out! :laugh:)

robing

Über Member
The Status App is only on Wi-fi and you have to make the effort to check each one required. The text message service comes to you and keeps you updated on specified routes. Easier I think than looking for Wi-fi and searching through the list. Most regular travellers I know use the text service. It can be on your phone only for as long as required and then automatically lapses. In any case it has to be renewed every 6 months.
It will work anywhere you can get mobile date (3G/H/4G).

Top Bottom