Films you have never watched?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
I don't think there's many lists would have them as the best ever, good as they are
Citizen Kane[/I] generally tops critics' polls, and fans' polls tend to be biased to the Star Wars / LoTR end of things, or sometimes The Shawshank Redemption (for those with more 'sophisticated' by not 'arty' tastes!).

Sight and Sound's 2002 poll had The Godfather films in 4th:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Vertigo
3. The Rules of the Game
4. The Godfather and The Godfather Part II
5. Tokyo Story
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. The Battleship Potemkin
8. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
9. 8½
10. Singin' in the Rain

Shurly shome mishtake? Not many lists that wouldn't have The Godfathers in at number one and number two? I don't think they can exist. As for guff like Star Wars and LotR (which I refuse to go and watch), they can stick that up their clunges. As for 'Rules of the game' and the excruciatingly boring '2001' in that list, they can kiss my ring.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Lord of the Rings...

Actually I quite like 2001...I was taken to watch it in about 1970.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've never watched lord of the rings either. My son has the DVDs and the small snippets I've seen just seem to drag on - I don't have a long attention span when it comes to watching the TV ..... ZZZzzzz.

Flying_Monkey said:
Surely, even for the most avid cinema goer, there are still more films in the world that you haven't seen than those you have... so we this could be a very, very long and boring thread!
Good point. It must be about 99.9% of all films ever made, that I have never watched, and most of those I'll have never even heard of.

Perhaps the subject should be narrowed down a bit: "Films you have never watched, but have heard about and know something of the plot"?

I'm more interested in 'big' films that people have deliberately avoided seeing (like Avatar), and why... in my case Forrest Gump, because I know I will just absolutely hate it - I can't stand schmaltzy American wish-fulfilment crap - and end up shouting at the screen.
Interesting to see that viewpoint about Forrest Gump. I agree with you about the schmaltzy American - err well I'd call it 'self-adulation' rather than 'wish-fulfilment' - and that's exactly the reason why I like the film (which I have watched). I suppose I see a bit of sarcasm, a bit of a send-up of the American Way Of Life, in it, and anything that takes the Americans down a peg or two, encourages me. :ohmy:

As for Avatar - well I've heard of it and know roughly what it's about (blue geezers with wings flying about - is that it?) but certainly I've never seen it and am not likely to... go on, tell me what I'm missing!

potsy

Rambler
Shaun said:
I've never watched lord of the rings either. My son has the DVDs and the small snippets I've seen just seem to drag on - I don't have a long attention span when it comes to watching the TV ..... ZZZzzzz.
One of my favourite ever films.

661-Pete said:
Good point. It must be about 99.9% of all films ever made, that I have never watched, and most of those I'll have never even heard of.

Perhaps the subject should be narrowed down a bit: "Films you have never watched, but have heard about and know something of the plot"?

Interesting to see that viewpoint about Forrest Gump. I agree with you about the schmaltzy American - err well I'd call it 'self-adulation' rather than 'wish-fulfilment' - and that's exactly the reason why I like the film (which I have watched). I suppose I see a bit of sarcasm, a bit of a send-up of the American Way Of Life, in it, and anything that takes the Americans down a peg or two, encourages me. :ohmy:

As for Avatar - well I've heard of it and know roughly what it's about (blue geezers with wings flying about - is that it?) but certainly I've never seen it and am not likely to... go on, tell me what I'm missing!
Pete,you're missing nasty American military taking on loveable blue aliens and losing,what more do you need to know:biggrin:

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

No...More like films you know about but try to avoid or never watch even though they are on all the time....Forest Gump being my example...Although I don't know why I don't want to watch it....

Top Bottom