Finally done the completion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Guru
It's been nearly six years of riding with underseat steering on my Streetmachine and I've finally got around to converting to above seat steering .

What took so long? The decision was made to try it at the start of the summer and the first month was spent loking for a suitable source for the steering mast and handlebars. One option was Terracycles but with postage and taxes that would be very expensive. Icletta, Terracycles european distributors didn't have the right size stem listed on their website so I plumped for sourcing them direct from HP Velotechnik. A week later and they arrive ...

Getting the stem, mast and bars was the easy bit. Fitting them identified several other issues :angry: :

The new stem is 2mm shorter than the old one so I had to buy a couple of stem spacers to make up the difference.
The front gear cable was too short so that was replaced and, while I was at it, the rear one was done as well.
The hydraulic hoses to the brakes were also too short so they had to be replaced and, when fitted, bled.

An hour later and with everything fettled it was time for a quick test ride - lovely and comfortable :biggrin: .

Picture 002.jpg Picture 003.jpg Picture 004.jpg

The airzound is back on the handlebars where it can be reached and used if necessary ;) and the mirror fitted to the other side.

Roll on Saturday for the test ride ...

Beardie

Just one question: why? Going for below-seat steering was the best thing I ever did. My hands are in a nice relaxed position by my sides and I can raise myself up a bit if I need to adjust my posture. The only advantage I can see with above-seat is the mounting points for computer, mirror, etc, but I don't consider these important.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
Just one question: why? Going for below-seat steering was the best thing I ever did. My hands are in a nice relaxed position by my sides and I can raise myself up a bit if I need to adjust my posture. The only advantage I can see with above-seat is the mounting points for computer, mirror, etc, but I don't consider these important.

Two reasons - as you said, somehwere to mount all the bits but the main reason was to reduce the width of the bike. My commute means filtering through traffic and the USS bars were to wide to filter with confidence. The ASS has reduced the width by about 15 cm each side and, so far, has made commuting a bit easier.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Interesting, I hadn't considered that USS was any wider than ASS. 15cm a side is quite a large saving!

Abs

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
[QUOTE 1179803"]
No, your elbows sit close to your chest almost perpendicular to the handlebar, not out by your side.
[/quote]

As Lee said, my hands are now inside my elbows whereas before, with USS, they were on the outside. Turning circle has massively improved as well.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
It doesn't appear to be that much faster on the flat but I certainly have more confidence in taking corners at speed.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'd expect an aero advantage (unless you're running *really* cluttered bars) and an improvement to the turning circle.

Would I do it? No. I like the ease of access and ability to lean forward for a view enhancing double check.

I filter from SE to NW London on a daily commute, and have an outboard mirror on my bars. Only folded it twice on cars.

Oops.

Top Bottom