Finally Fast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Our PC is agonisingly slow....its like having a ZX spectrum all over again.

Anyway i saw an advert on the box for a product called Finally fast ...which claims it can revitalise your pc and make it lightening quick again.
I went on the web site and they want about £30 off me.
I clicked back onto google listings and found an article by a guy called Bill Mullins who reckons its all a scam and you can get a much better application for free.

So i tried what the guy recommended. Its called CCcleaner. Installed it, ran the application and now my PC is like shoot off a hot shovel.

Saved myself 30 quid and got my pc running fast again ...Bargain.

Just thought id let you all know, in case anyone else was going to fall for Finally Fast.com

col

Legendary Member
Iv used CCleaner on recomendation from here, and it works a treat, made a big difference.

Bman

Guru
I would never use a program like CCleaner (or any of the other "speed up your pc" programs) I dont trust them.

There is no subsitute to backing up your data, reformatting the drive and re-installing windows. Most pre-built pcs have the Windows product key/license on a sticker somewhere on the case. If you dont have the original windows cd (i dont mean the "repair disk" that comes with it) just download one and use your legit product key when prompted. Perfectly legal.

I "re-build" once every year or two (or after a hardware re-configuration).

Carwash

Señor Member
Bongman said:
...There is no subsitute to backing up your data, reformatting the drive and re-installing windows.

...I "re-build" once every year or two...

I must say that I find this sort of thing rather depressing. Why do people put up with this nonsense? Do they think that it's just the way computers are - that these are inherent limitations? Seriously: what kind of system requires you to install third-party software to de-cruft it if you want it work properly, or to re-install from scratch on an annual basis? Is it really worth it? :angry:

Bman

Guru
I know what you mean Carwash.

We *shouldnt* have to do it. But after a few years of installing and Uninstalling stuff, explorer just has too much extra to load. taking up more memory and slowing load times.

Partly Microsofts fault, partly the applications uninstallers fault.

Must admit, I only rebuild once a year because of a hardware change. Without that, I would probably leave it as long as three years. But this depends on the user/s and what they install ;)

Carwash

Señor Member
I don't get it. If it were any other product, people wouldn't stand for it.

And it's not like it's the only game in town: there are alternative options! In fact, Windows is the only 'modern' OS I know of that makes you jump through such arduous and unnecessary hoops to stop your system slowing to the speed of frozen molasses. Bizarre.

col

Legendary Member
I just uninstalled then reinstalled AVG and that helped in a surprising way, everything goes a lot faster than it did before?
Might be worth a try with your anti virus sofware?

No.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bongman said:
I would never use a program like CCleaner (or any of the other "speed up your pc" programs) I dont trust them.

There is no subsitute to backing up your data, reformatting the drive and re-installing windows. Most pre-built pcs have the Windows product key/license on a sticker somewhere on the case. If you dont have the original windows cd (i dont mean the "repair disk" that comes with it) just download one and use your legit product key when prompted. Perfectly legal.

I "re-build" once every year or two (or after a hardware re-configuration).

Where do you down load a copy of XP pro from?

Bman

Guru
ThePirateBay, or other torrent site (or newsgroup if your that way inclined).

Its only illegal if you dont own a license and use the pirate key that comes with the torrent/nzb. If you have a product key and you use that to install it (on one PC only) you'll be morally in the right :rolleyes:).

Remember though, most PC's come with XP home, not XP pro. So you will have to download the correct version. An XP home key, will not work with XP pro.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Interesting, and how sure can you be that there isn't a little extra malware added in? I am in the position of only having the recovery CD which came with my laptop (it is definitely XP pro). I want to build a new system and run the laptop under Linux only, I could use my existing XP licence with the new system.

Bman

Guru
I suppose you cant 100% guarantee it, unless you order a replacement CD from Microsoft.

However, if you really are concerned and don’t trust the source, you could always scan the ISO with a few AV programs after you have downloaded it to ensure it doesnt have any nasties included. Maybe even use a program like “Nlite” to remove anything else you don’t want included in your new XP build (or to add specific drivers for your hardware).

You could also build a Virtual machine with it as another check.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With XP you shouldn't need to re-install. Some careful ditching of temp files, cleaning out start up programs and use of CCleaner (it is good), defragging etc will get it sorted.

I did this with a family member's PC that the kids had knackered. It's all fine and dandy now (well no phone calls in the last few weeks)......

The more memory you have the better - given the updates XP has had, I'd say 1GB minimum these days - it used to run well on 256mb machines, no more.....

Top Bottom