Finally got a few pics uploaded.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
of resprayed fixed wheel bike and single speed MTB.

The fixed started life as a 1989 Raleigh 'Delta lightweight' Reynolds 531 (see attached) which I can't find any kind of reference to anywhere but was built up with full 7 spd 105 kit which somebody decided was desirable enough to buy (made enough to pay for the bike so it was basically free!). Got mudguard braze-ons added and respaced the rear myself (126mm down to 120mm).
It's a nice ride, nothing to shout about but just the kind of solid ride you expect from a reasonable quality 531 frame.

Parts as follows:
Original 105 threaded headset (it was mint!)
Shimano 600ex cranks on UN53 BB
Stronglight track chainring
Shimano cheapo (WH550?) front wheel
Mavic CXP33 & On-One LF track hub
KMC track chain (nice)
Nitto noodle bars & tall stem
Shimano brakes (short reach A550's) & tektro levers
Planet X saddle on Shimano XTR seatpost (the poshest bit on it!)

Bike%20091.jpg

MTB hasn't had a test ride yet as my ankle is still a bit fooked. Basically put together on a whim after Pete Beer (Bristol fixed wheel Pete) told me there were some good off-road trails nearby. Genesis IO frame picked up for £80 and then a selection of new and used parts - ended costing just shy of £300 in total.

Bike%20097.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lovely - the old Raleigh looks really nice.

Both look fantastic, I am thinking of doing some thing similar (mtb wise) just wondered what sort of gearing you have gone for ?. My road fixie works out at 66ish gear inches but am not sure what to go for off road ?

Many Thanks

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
I went for the 'standard' 2:1 ratio (32:16) which gives me about 52 inches. I've got a spare 17t freewheel if it's not enough but I've not taken it for a full off-road test ride yet!

How do you get on riding around Dudley area? It strikes me as a proper pain in the arse given all the dual carriageways/bypass bits and huge roundabouts. I've got a couple of mates nearby in Colley Gate and Tipton and neither of them would dream of cycling around (they're lazy gits though).

I found it a bit awkward to begin with, trying to get the balance between low enough gearing to cope with going up hill and high enough to cope with the high spin rate down hill. Just about as good as I can get was 44/18 about 66 gear inches. I don't have the fixie any more as I decided to put it on ebay to make room for a new bike but miss the thing .When I can find a mountain bike either free or very cheaply I will build one up ( My recycled bicycle project !)

Wonder where you are from as you seem to know Dudley ?

Catch you soon

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
BADGER.BRAD said:
Wonder where you are from as you seem to know Dudley ?

Catch you soon

I'm from Quinton - but being on the edge of Brum ended up with a lot of mates from around Dudley/Netherton/Brierley Hill way so know the area fairly well. I had about a 68" gear when in Brum, and the hills weren't too bad (going down), great practise for Bristol!
It's funny here, there's loads of SS riders but not many riding fixed, presumably because of the downhill issue - I can't say I blame them as there are so many hills here that it'd really be throwing yourself in at the deep end.

peejay78 said:
hi graham. this is very similar indeed to my raliegh conversion.

I'm just getting really pissed off that I can't ride it to any Fixed Bristol outings.. still! On the plus side, I've bypassed the NHS and am paying for physio myself who says I can start to build cycling in to my ankle recovery in another couple of weeks.

peejay78

to be honest, i've missed the last few, although i went to the jumble and gave some pedals to aidan.

will you be healed for the burrington hillclimb on the 19th? only one way to find out, ride it and see if your ankle snaps in half.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
PJ - I'd be far too embarrassingly out of shape and would be shooting for the wooden spoon. Oh, and I'm at a mates wedding.

Physio reckons it'll be another 4-6 weeks until I'm back to normal and can go at it properly on the bike. I had all the best of intentions to start getting in shape for my charidee ride with no boozing/smoking/crap food - and all I can do at the minute is get my lungs in shape for the Amsterdam stag weekend in a weeks time!

Hi Graham,

Was just searching for the Raleigh Delta on Google and came across your post. It was fantastic to see the original photo of the bike. The bike in the attached photo is in complete 'as-it-came-from-the-factory' condition and the Shimano 7sp 105 with Biopace chainring (special 'Midnight Blue' edition) was part of the spec.

I remember buying one from new for £360 when I was a teenager....it was part of a special 'Lightweight' range built in the UK by Raleigh's Special Products Division....the same unit that built the Super U - Raleigh bikes ridden by Laurent Fignon in 1989.

The renovation look great by the way!!

Top Bottom