Finding campsites in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pottsy said:
Just interested how people go about finding a campsite when touring. Guide books, maps, tourist information, GPS, internet or just make it up as you go along?

Recommendations appreciated bearing in mind the cost and not wanting to carry a heavy guide book for every country.

Oh and a similar question about hostels.

Thanks in advance.

In many western european countries, newsagents often stock a cheap camping guide that lists mosts of the campsites. The only downside is that they weigh a pound or so. But unless you have GPS and a WiFi or 3G roaming internet connection, they are the only way of knowing where the campsites are in advance.

Or just rely on local knowledge. If you know the language you can always ask.

Cheers

xilios

Veteran
Thanks Raybo and Andrew I haven't seen these sites before.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
GPS and archies camping poi files = lifesaver after a long days cold wet ride.
I have POI files loaded for campsites/hostels etc in the uk and europe...jus troll into town hit find on th egps and it will take you into the nearest site....erm...assuming there mis one nearby.

I's still carry a map and mark the sites on it myself from external sources in advance though...the french yellow pages was useful for this

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
I just found an excellent site listing what looks like pretty much every site in France with phone numbers. I have copied the text for each dept into a Word file on my laptop which I will take with me, so I can search quickly for the villages I plan to pass through http://www.tourist-office.org/camping/france/camping-france.htm

Phone numbers are especially useful so you can call ahead - many campsites don't open until May/June, or even July.

jay clock

Massive member
yes, and the problem with many of the listing sites is that you have to click a link on each campsite to see the details. I have downloaded some lists of every town in the six depts I am going to, so I can whip out my pc and look them up pretty fast and give them a call.

Nearly every single one in the south says open from 1 April or 1 May. I am off on 3 May!!

jags

Guru
good point, i was trying to learn some french but gave up the ghost,besides speaking french with an irish ascent.;):biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
Yep, so long as you speako the lingo I guess
I am bilingual in French (brought up there for 15 years) and fluent in Spanish. A combo of the two works fine on the phone in both Italy and Portugal! And I can manage enough German for "haben sie ein kamplatz fur ein nacht bitte". So that is most bases covered. Anywhere else, I will give a try!

archies

Hello all,

Talking about phone numbers, I can tell you that in the poi's of archiescamping they have been added too!

So, if you have a navigation system, and you want to see all the European campsites (more as 30.000!) during your trip, you are welcome on my website! Free downlaod for almost all navi's!

Kind regards,

Archie
www.archiescampings.eu/eng1

Top Bottom