FindMyKids App - how does it know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I installed the above App on mine and my son's phone a few weeks ago, it's really handy to know where he is and I can see the route he takes to school etc.

My question is, the App states that he is now "walking to Jon's house". Which he is - that's his friend who he walks home with. But how does the app know what his friend is called, and where he lives? I have not put in any data apart from my son's name and my home address. Is this a case of the App collecting loads of data, putting it all together and being smart?

I'm not really concerned; the app is far more useful to me than to worry about the amount of data being collected. I'm just interested.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not difficult, the app will access location and contact data, so will usually put this together. It will do stuff through google etc, and know that his 'contact' is usually at this address from the various phone links (and maybe friend has the app). There is a load of spooky stuff that goes on in the background of modern smart phones. Nothing for us 'plebs' to worry about.

I like how google will tell you how busy a place is - e.g. pub.

tom73

Guru
Yes it's collecting data and lots of it. Then cross referencing with some machine learning on your son's movements.
Not very hard to do allowing apps to collect data is one thing allowing them then to make money from it is another.
Selling of data will be be all part of what you've signed up to.

I installed the above App on mine and my son's phone a few weeks ago, it's really handy to know where he is and I can see the route he takes to school etc.

My question is, the App states that he is now "walking to Jon's house". Which he is - that's his friend who he walks home with. But how does the app know what his friend is called, and where he lives? I have not put in any data apart from my son's name and my home address. Is this a case of the App collecting loads of data, putting it all together and being smart?

I'm not really concerned; the app is far more useful to me than to worry about the amount of data being collected. I'm just interested.

I'd guess so, or another possibility on your son's phone does it let him add destinations so maybe he added his friends address in his phone, and it shows on your phone now also?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can see why parents want to do this now, but it does seem creepy tech to me.

Exactly, I used to go out to play with my mates and not be heard of again until tea time. Same when I started cycling at 16, jumped on bike, wasn't usually home until it was getting dark.
Not only no mobiles then, but many of us didn't have landline phones at home either so (unless you were a lot better organised than I was with my mates) hooking up with pals often involved randomly turning up at houses trying to catch them in (and failing)!

Jody

Stubborn git
My question is, the App states that he is now "walking to Jon's house". Which he is - that's his friend who he walks home with. But how does the app know what his friend is called, and where he lives?

Surely they are stood with each other. Same as Strava knows who was on your ride. Two phones in close proximity, traveling in the same direction at the same speed.

The phones are probably talking (or can see each other) via Bluetooth, WIFI, NFC and walking the same route as they have previously

You probably also have to give permission to view your contacts so they know who the other phone is.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
1694186968401.png

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ok that makes sense, thanks all. Yes I'm aware that by using a free app they are making money off my data, and my sons. Oh well. It's piece of mind for me.

I also grew up without mobile phones and such. But I did get into a few scrapes where having one would have helped. But would have made less of an adventure! Also far fewer cars around 40 years ago than today, and more importantly fewer idiot drivers which is my main concern. Once he gets used to the routine etc I probably won't look at it. Think it's also handy if phone gets lost or stolen

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tbh I'm disappointed by the level of cynicism in this thread. I believe such schemes have been endorsed by a number of high-profile celebrities; I think Gary Glitter for one contributed heavily to the kickstarter campaign 👍

Are you sure nobody has put any specific locations in the app? I don't see anything about the app learning where the kids are going.
I have a similar app with my wife - she makes home visits to her pupils so it is a back up if anyone is crazy. (unlikely).
The only notifications i get about locations are locations that we identified previously. So Home, Work etc...

Top Bottom