First 100 mile sportive, advice needed thanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Guys looking for advice, I have got a tricross with 50/39/30 at the front and 11/32 at the rear 9 speed,and would fit the gatorskins 25mm tyres to the alex rims,bike,tricross weight about 23lbs
my light road bike is also 9 speed with 50/34 at the front 12/25 rear,with lighter hand built wheels,gatorskin tyres 23f/25r,bike weight about 19lbs

I was wondering am I better taking the tricross with the light wheels from the road bike and change the cassette to the 11/32,to make it easier on long hills,Or are you better just sticking with the road bike gearing.

any advice appreciated.

jackthelad

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Not sure that one bike is especially better or worse than another, but always on sportives I wish I had a triple, I don't need a triple most of the time, except when I'm beat up and tired and I've got another 30km to go and there's another hill to climb, I'd gladly spin my way up it in low gear, it has to be better than pushing!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends how hilly it is. If it is hilly, then you might need the gears late on. Other option, buy a slightly larger cassette for the road bike for hilly sportives !

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Fossy I like the speed of the road bike,and i believe the biggest cassette might be a 11-28,which in its own way might be enough,so wil look at this option as well,saves me stripping the tricross of rear rack mudguards etc.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

hlab thanks for the imput, i practice on hills 3 times a week,a circuit of 15 miles,hill after hill, with few flat levels in between on the road bike with 12/25 and 50/34, its hard but a good workout,the sportive has 1500metres of hills,it was just the distance with hills in it,
at weekend i try to get in 35-50 milers but have never done the 100 mile stunt and dont know if my fitness level is up to it

How much time have you got before the ton, it'd probably be wise to get a 75 or 80 miler in and you'll be fine. If you haven't got time the adrenalin rush on the day will see you home; its mostly a psychological barrier to overcome and as long as you drink and eat well you'll overcome it. Good Luck :hello:

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Hlab thanks for the encouragement,did the 50 miler last year, pedal for scotland and at the end thought I could have carried on for a few more miles no problem.I have increased the training this year mostly doing extreme long and steep hills and the benefits to muscle in the legs has been amazing to speed on the flats and climbs on minor hills.I would highly recommend the hill climbs if you really want to build the legs.I recon I will be ok but as you said if you have not done this size of miles in one trip it is sort of intimidating,and the psychological side of it creeps in,as no one wants to not reach the finish line.

Top Bottom