First 100K done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Early morning start for some porridge, then off on a route I had planned that was 100K into the peaks. Furthest I had been before was 50 miles around a week ago, I'm building up to a couple of 100 milers.

A nasty little squall came through after about 10 miles and I put my showerproof on for the first time, worked v well, it's a Montane Velo something or other.

Surprise 15% hill a little later, then a bit of flat, then around 20 miles uphill and into the headwind and rain. I had planned a cafe stop at about 30 ish, but was there before the place opened, so I delved into pockets to find an energy bar, and 2 gels. These and my bottles kept me going. Decided not to stop as I don't think I could have got going again!

Nice descent into Bakewell, then over to Baslow and up the hill to the outskirts of Chesterfield, then some lovely downhills, 45 mph reached at one point, fastest I have been.

Just trying to get round, watching heart rate so as not to tire out, and finished in 4 hrs 20, sadly I live on the top of a hill, so finished with another 15% climb, managed to do that seated without too much bother, leg strength improving. 4500 feet of climbing in total, that's getting easier as well.

Enjoyed the route, would be nice to do it again in sun without the rain. Discovered that a wert sock is quite a good way of wiping down the bike!

Next target is cycling to parents house which is around 80 odd miles, then I need to find some goals for over the winter,
Manchester 100 in Sept, then a few legs of big cricket ride in oct, then I have nothing planned. Will see what the club does in the winter, be a shame to undo the good work.

Congrats! There is a race here in September as well that I am seriously thinking about doing because of how much I enjoy cycling now. Do you usually cycle in the winter? I am worried about all the snow and not being able to get to! Also, do you just use your cycle computer to figure out how much you have climbed? I use a cycle computer but I dont think it has that capability. :sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Well done Endoman, 100k is a bit of a landmark. It is not that far to go to do the first proper ton.

OP
OP
endoman

endoman

Congrats! There is a race here in September as well that I am seriously thinking about doing because of how much I enjoy cycling now. Do you usually cycle in the winter? I am worried about all the snow and not being able to get to! Also, do you just use your cycle computer to figure out how much you have climbed? I use a cycle computer but I dont think it has that capability. :sad:

Don't know if I cycle in the winter, haven't got there yet, but I intend to try, probably on the hybrid.

Yep computer does altitude via barometric pressure, a lot of the online mapping does a reasonable job as well.

Top Bottom