First Aid Kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi Guys and Gals.

I am thinking of putting together a small first aid kit to carry on rides and was wondering if you carry one what it contains.

So far I plan to carry - Antiseptic / analgesic cream, waterproof plasters, petroleum jelly, tubular grip bandages and possibly a product like "nu-skin".

Cheating a bit, and compiling my own list, this is wiggle's offering:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/First_Aid_Kits/

Bigtallfatbloke

I debated long and hard about carrying a first aid kit on tours because of the wieght etc. In th eend I decided to carry one. I was pleased I did as well because I took a pretty nasty fall in Meersburg in Germany and cut my elbows, knees and forehead badly (I have also been to the GP this morning who suspects a hairline wrist fracture as well...and I rode through France with that !)
The Fist aid kit had disinfectant wipes and some big padded plasters for large area skin scrapes of the type I had. I was pleased I took it, at least it stopped any infections and allowed my to continue riding.

The other thing is that in the event of an accident it may not be you who is hurt, it could be anybody...a young child for example or an old lady...I think it's important to have one. Mine also has plastic sterile gloves, scissors, bandages, pain killers, plasters, disinfectant, anti septic, support bandages and a useful leaflet on the basics of first aid which I hope I know anyway but it's good to have.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Firstly I hope that you heal quickly and secondly thank you for the detailed reply. Your reasoning for carrying a kit is the same as mine. In a nutshell, "Better safe than sorry ". I have scissors on my penknife which is always on my keyring but gloves were something I forgot about (and I used to be a home carer ;))

Anyway, I much appreciate the reply and once again I hope you heal up quick and well.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I debated long and hard about carrying a first aid kit on tours because of the wieght etc. In th eend I decided to carry one. I was pleased I did as well because I took a pretty nasty fall in Meersburg in Germany and cut my elbows, knees and forehead badly (I have also been to the GP this morning who suspects a hairline wrist fracture as well...and I rode through France with that !)
The Fist aid kit had disinfectant wipes and some big padded plasters for large area skin scrapes of the type I had. I was pleased I took it, at least it stopped any infections and allowed my to continue riding.

The other thing is that in the event of an accident it may not be you who is hurt, it could be anybody...a young child for example or an old lady...I think it's important to have one. Mine also has plastic sterile gloves, scissors, bandages, pain killers, plasters, disinfectant, anti septic, support bandages and a useful leaflet on the basics of first aid which I hope I know anyway but it's good to have.

Bigtallfatbloke

ta!...Oh I am healed ok...the flesh wounds didnt take long at all and the french sunshine and wind made them heal really fast. The wrist isnt so bad...just makes playing my guitar painful...I have to have an xray and probably they will put it in a brace or something...seems odd though...I rode across france with a fractured wrist and hardly noticed but now I am back it's got worse it seems...

pinkkaz

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
ta!...Oh I am healed ok...the flesh wounds didnt take long at all and the french sunshine and wind made them heal really fast. The wrist isnt so bad...just makes playing my guitar painful...I have to have an xray and probably they will put it in a brace or something...seems odd though...I rode across france with a fractured wrist and hardly noticed but now I am back it's got worse it seems...

My husband went on a stag weekend and managed to injure his thumb. He didn't realise it was a fracture until a few weeks later when I sat on it and he was in unbelievable pain! So it seems easy to just dismiss hand injuries.

tomb1960

Having taken quite a tumble earlier in (what passes for) the summer, 5 of us were on the ride 3 of whom were doctors, not even one plaster between us! I now do carry a rudimentary first aid kit, some plasters, some non-adherent absorbent pads and some easily tearable tape. My rationale being that all you really need is something to stop the blood spilling everywhere until you can get home and clean it up properly. That said I completely accept that on a long tour you perhaps need the wherewithal to clean your wounds properly at point of injury, and I totally agree with BTFB (as always actually) when he points out you might need to 'treat' someone else.

Iceniner

I carry one of those little boots travel first aid kits as my rucksack isnt that big when i go out riding, mainly full of bandages and other basic bits. But maybe consider taking one of those heat blankets that look like large sheets of tin-foil. Ive got one as they are generally no more than £2 and are very small and easy to put somewhere without taking up too much space.

If you do take a spil out on a cold day/night least you can keep some heat in and stave off the cold :-)

Top Bottom