first big ride!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

p90ade

hi evryone, iv been reading loads and loads on this site over the last few weeks so thought id say hi,
next saturday myself and the brotherinlaw are riding from home (near wolverhampton) to barmouth, roughly 110 miles. at the moment in doing 15 miles a day to work and then 50-60 miles or a sat and sunday so im hoping fitness sould be up to scratch.

we are both doing the the ride on hybrids and currently average 15 mph when out of a weekend.

first question is whats the best food to take to keep energy up while we are going?
we are thinking 10-15 minute break every 2 hours with around a hour for lunch.

after reading everyones amazing trips 110 mile may not seem alot but we`ve only been riding properly for around 3 months so we think its a good start.

will let you know how we get on.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Good luck and enjoy...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
welcome and enjoy the ride!

Try taking a sports drink and some plain water (depends how much you sweat) and if you guys are having regular breaks food like flapjacks, bananas, fig rolls etc or a couple of peanut butter sarnies- whatever floats your boat- if you are having a hour for lunch maybe you can stop off and eat -save carrying loads of food so you can just take snacks.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You might want to take (or buy at the lunch stop) something savoury - sweet stuff all day can be too much (and this is from a dedicated chocolate and cake eater!)

Kuota M

Good luck with your ride - the sense of achievement once completed is fantastic - you will be buzzing for a week at least!
I agree with the recommendations given above. I like to carry electrolyte tablets as I can pop them into water and they will replace any vitals minerals lost through sweat.

p.s. Have you sorted out the clothing you will wear for the ride - you don't want to overdress!

OP
OP
P

p90ade

Kuota M said:
Good luck with your ride - the sense of achievement once completed is fantastic - you will be buzzing for a week at least!
I agree with the recommendations given above. I like to carry electrolyte tablets as I can pop them into water and they will replace any vitals minerals lost through sweat.

p.s. Have you sorted out the clothing you will wear for the ride - you don't want to overdress!

was just going light on the clothes, cycling shorts, jersey and a fleece in my bag incase its gets abit nippy.

Top Bottom