First bike advice (aiming to tour)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowbags

Hello all,

My eventual goal is to be able to tour a good distance in Europe, the main focus is exploring and enjoying, not some attempt to clock up x miles, perform at x speed/rate etc etc. I want to go from Dunkerque to Amsterdam early summer next year, but I haven't got a bike at the moment.

My logic is, since I do not currently cycle at all, a cheap bike to train up on and get some miles in/endurance would be a better idea than simply buying an £800 tourer and finding out in 4 months I'm not into the distance.

So - the question(s)

Is £150 for a second hand (ebay) hybrid the way to go? if so, any ideas for me to search for, are there some standout models that come to mind?
I could probably sell it on for at least £80-100 in 6-8 months anyway.

Or would you suggest going somewhere in between, and sticking it out longer with something in the area of a £350-£400 second hand "decent" (relative term...) tourer? then only go up into the 800-1.2k zone when I'm truly committed to the hobby.

From browsing around the web and doing a touch of research, my planned ride (Dunkerque/Bruges/Ferry to middleburg>up the west/The Hague (or Delft, few friends live near the two)/Amsterdam) doesn't actually look like it would be challenging and the type of bike would be pretty flexible, so without any reasonable education to say otherwise, a £350-400 should be fine anyway?

Essentially my brain is flooded with info, I'm sure the advice is out there for me to find, but with so much of it I feel lost, if you guys can just keep me on course (with budget, what's excessive and what's a stupid area to be cheap especially) I'd be grateful.

Thanks, and hello! :smile:

OP
OP
B

Blowbags

Sorry but, semi-constructive bump?

Hows this?
Raleigh Oakfield - Amazon (I'd probably get the bike from a local store though)

I guess newbie "what bike" questions are a bit dull/overdone for you guys but would appreciate a nudge toward a few entry level decent hybirds - or at least a suggestion of where to check myself, every vendor will sing praises of every model so...

cheers.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I think the reason why you haven't had a flood of answers is because both solutions are equally valid - but here's my two penny-worth.

I think that you're right to be cautious in not wanting to commit yourself to a lot of expenditure before you've decided if it's worth the investment. People will have opinions about frame materials, gear sets, wheels, tyres etc but, in my opinion, the most important thing is to get a bike that fits you properly - anything else is gravy.

I broke even this rule and made my return to cycling on a 2nd hand, steel framed MTB which is, to be honest, a good bit too large for me. (But as it was free I didn't complain.) It's a heavy old bugger and it's slow but it soon clocked up 1500 miles and convinced me that it was worth spending some money and getting a good 'un. So I bought a Surly Cross Check.

Just because a bike calls itself a "tourer" doesn't mean that you have to have one before you can go touring - if I had to ride to Middleburg tomorrow I'd take the Surly, but there's no doubt that my old MTB is capable of getting me there - it would just be slower, not as much fun and a bit trickier to fit racks and panniers.

I think ebay is great for buying bikes but the problem is that you're unlikely to know for sure how it fits until you've agreed to buy it. It amazes me how often even the sellers don't know the size. So my suggestion would be try as many bikes as possible to see what size fits you best. Then look for something second-hand - and don't be too concerned if it isn't absolutely perfect first time.

OP
OP
B

Blowbags

Yea I wasn't too resentful of no answers because I suspected as much :smile: thanks for your input. I guess when you are talking sub £200 all you need to do is make sure its not abysmal and go for it.

And yea thats the main issue, even if they do get it right on ebay I go "ooo great deal" (with my limited knowledge :smile: ) then its always sub 20" frame! - ahh well, another forum suggested this bike and if I run out of patience digging for reasonably local used bikes, im just gunna grab it and put some miles in on Sunday

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item99ab80e2b9

there was a carrera for sale in the for sale section that may be worth you looking at, i think is was £300. obviously depends on size etc but that may be a good starting point

best of luck with the ride too, great route.

Top Bottom