First clipless ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
Was bought Specialized Taho shoes and Shimano PD-M520 pedals for my birthday and I'm just back from my first ride with them (16 miles). Shoes were very comfy and although I will need a bit more practice clipping in and out I didn't have any 'moments' though reading other posts I expect to have one or two in the future! :sad: Just thought I would share. :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've done about 3 rides (total around 110 miles) on my clipless. No 'moments' yet, but a few 'nearlys'.

These seem to happen mostly when I am stopped, or going very slowly prior to stopping at a junction. Unclip one side and put that foot down, but for some reason decide to start off pedalling on the other foot (or just change feet), forgetting that the other foot is still clipped in. Luckily I still have the tension pretty loose, so manage to twist that foot out before CofG gets too far over!

Good luck with them.

Beaker39

Well done.

I also used my SPD's today for the first time and thought they were great. Did 35miles and had no problems except that on one shoe the threads for the cleat were damaged and after about 20 miles my shoe came off with the cleat stuck in the pedal :smile:.

They were only Lidle cheapos so I think I need to buy some new shoes :laugh:. (Shhhh, don't tell the wife!!! :evil:)

colinr

The 'moments' will get you when you least expect it and they always make sure they have an audience :evil:

new-fish

I'm still very unsure about going clipless, i think back to moments mainly at junctions where if i did have them, the 'moments' as you say would have been quite spectacular.:evil: Maybe one day, when i have the bottle lol

aJohnson

colinr said:
The 'moments' will get you when you least expect it and they always make sure they have an audience :laugh:

+1, my first happened at traffic lights when I had a row of cars behind me.

But congrats, both of you :evil:

colinr

I'm still very unsure about going clipless

I'd recommend going for it. Coming off isn't that bad, you just think it will be. It'll do far more damage to your pride than anything else!

jamesxyz

my back wheel slipped on some horse manure on a climb losing me all traction - was fairly new to clipless at the time so didn't get feet out on time - embarassing but only my mate around ...:boxing:

Top Bottom