First commute on e-mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
But you were adding to the 'Mustang obviously meant watt hours. Wh is Amps multiplied by Volts. So the 640wh battery could well be 36V 17.7A or even more likely a 48V 13.33A.

Your variation of Amps comes from Amps as in Power, not Amps as in capacity. It almost never ever gets used in this context, it being quite irrelevant, just like this thread is now.

Dadam

Amps are Amps (short for amperes) and are a measure of electrical current. Nothing else.

"Wh" is amps multiplied by volts multiplied by hours!

What you're missing is that the "48V, 13.33A battery" you mention will be a 13.33 amp-hour (Ah) battery. This means it has the capacity to supply that current for 1 hour, or half that current for two hours, etc.

Amp-hours have been quoted for years as a measure of battery capacity, or milliamp-hours for smaller batteries. I've got a bunch of rechargeable AAs that are 2000mAH.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Your variation of Amps comes from Amps as in Power, not Amps as in capacity. It almost never ever gets used in this context, it being quite irrelevant, just like this thread is now.

Amps is a measure of electrical current:

The ampere (/ˈæmpɛər/ AM-pair, US: /ˈæmpɪər/ AM-peer;[1][2][3] symbol: A),[4] often shortened to amp,[5] is the unit of electric current in the International System of Units (SI). One ampere is equal to 1 coulomb moving past a point in 1 second, or 6.241509074×1018 electrons' worth of charge moving past a point in 1 second

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere

I have never used it as "power", nor "capacity" (capacity of what?) and have never seen it used as either.

Again, if there is a context where it is used in ways other than the standard above, it would help to provide a link or reference to better understand your meaning - which I'm struggling with.

roubaixtuesday

What you're missing is that the "48V, 13.33A battery" you mention will be a 13.33 amp-hour (Ah) battery. This means it has the capacity to supply that current for 1 hour, or half that current for two hours, etc.

Aha, now that does make sense.

Eg this random one I just picked from Halfords. @albion note:

Watts x hours (Wh) = Amps x hours (Ah) x Volts.

Divide both sides by hours and hey presto

Watts = Amps x Volts.

Screenshot_20231120_172617_Chrome.jpg

albion

Guru
And yet you FIRST said 'Amps x volts is the instantaneous power the battery produces, in watts (W)'.

Here, the only way that works is as I kept saying, out of context. That is the last I say or else I will end up doing a Basil Fawlty.
Understand what gets copied and pasted!!!

roubaixtuesday

And yet you FIRST said 'Amps x volts is the instantaneous power the battery produces, in watts (W)'.

Here, the only way that works is as I kept saying, out of context. That is the last I say or else I will end up doing a Basil Fawlty.
Understand what gets copied and pasted!!!

It's true at all times, and in context.

What is not true, ever, in any context is:

Wh = amps x volts

Top Bottom