First commute on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I've been rebuilding an old Francesco Moser frame since January, and the endless parts buying and rebuying is nearly finished, and it now goes, so since it was dry this morning (dry weather bike only), I thought I'd ride it to work.

Apart from the downshift gear lever being like Russian Roulette on whether I was going to fall off when using it, and one very pleasant driver driving to within a foot of me while I was in primary and close behind the driver in front, it was pretty uneventful.

Handlebar shifters on order. I was going to count up everything I'd spent on the thing, but I'm beginning to think that might just be depressing.

Jdratcliffe

Pictures?

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
WP_000005.jpg

Worst photo ever.

It came from the 80s with Shimano 600 front and rear derailleur, a no-manufacturer crankset, and that set of forks and headset but not much else. I spent ages (and lots) gathering up Shimano 600 brakes, levers, crankset. Then I found that the only BB I could get was a Campagnolo, which of course (of course!!) is a different size to the Shimano stuff, so the crank and chainrings are Campy (no idea what). I also had to bin the 600 levers when I binned the drop bars, which I found painful (I mean literally painful, not just annoying - I have arthritis in one of my elbows that wasn't happy with the new hand positions). Now on Ritchey classic flat bars and stem, with Shimano 780 levers. I have also found that the shifter on the downtube is an absolute nightmare, so I'm going to get some Shimano rapidfire plus shifters. Also, the old 600 derailleur is no longer strong enough, so I only have 4 gears, anyway. New derailleur is sitting at home in a box, waiting for the shifters. Wheels are Fulcrum Racing 5, and tyres are Schwalbe Duranos in 25mm for comfort.

It's about 2 kg less than my (now all weather bike) hybrid, seems much faster on the straight, climbing is a bit weird since the wheelbase is about 6 inches shorter, too.

Probably could have got a decent bike for the money I've spent, but that is by the by. I guess I will be recouping some by selling all the other bits I've collected that don't fit!

(shamefully in on the hybrid this morning)

musa

Über Member
Get the stuff out the bin. Unless there beyond use. When it comes to bikes you become a hoarder of stuff. Down to ball bearings

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Get the stuff out the bin. Unless there beyond use. When it comes to bikes you become a hoarder of stuff. Down to ball bearings

When I say bin, I mean set aside to put on eBay. The Shimano 600 levers are gorgeous. No one would throw those out.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit its a great sense riding a bike that you have sourced and bolted parts together rather than unwrapping that new in box bike

Top Bottom