First commute on the road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Have had a new Specialized Allex Elite (via CTW) for three weeks now but have not used it as the weather has been so crap, was still crap today but I thought sod it, cant keep it clean for ever and people being overly precious about their bikes gets on my nerves, if its dirty, clean it, if its broke fix it !

Kept it real in the commuter style with an Altura NightVision jacket, I did not don team replica Lycra and procure energy drinks and bars, nor did I get snigffy about other cyclists, I didnt see any but if I had I would be extra nice, I dont want to be considered the BMW driver of the cycling world !

So normally I have a Cannondale Bad Boy hybrid with rack and panniers but was on the Allez today, I cant see me going back to the Hybrid, the ride is lovely on the Allez, taut without being hard like the Cannondale, the Bottom Bracket being lower means for the same seat height you get your straighter and it feels more efficient.

I was expecting it to feel a bit more edgy and nervous but if anything it feels more reasurring, the tyres make a nice buzz on the tarmac and it feels grippier.

Saddle is rather skinny but seems to work better, I put a gel cover on the one on the Cannondale but I dont think they are really a good idea, a proper saddle that has your sit bones on the pads seems to work better, the gel cover tended to end up with a cleaving action rather than sitting on it.

Bar wise, I really missed drops (had a borrowed cheap road bike when I started) when I got the Hybrid but got used to it, still missed bieng able to shift postions as much but loved the Sram trigger shifters, really nice going back to drops though, shifters work pretty well but not as easy with winter gloves, still, wont be for long I hope.

I enjoed the refreshing jet of gritty water, It reminds me why I fitted guards, on the to do list now, part of commuting is getting a sexy lookin new bike and making it look all geeky and sensible :blush:

Speed wise, definitely is quicker, I suppose being lighter, 5 mm narrower tyres and me being in a better position, kept hitting 20 mph on the flat without that much effort, on average I would say its 1 - 2 mph faster. it may be that its a different computer but it felt faster, you get fairly tuned to speed on a bike I find and can usually guess your speed without looking at the speedo.

Brakes, it was always onto a loser her, Cannondale has the Hope Mono Mini's off my old MTB so stops really well, the Allez, well, doesnt, certainly not on a drizzly morning and having to go onto the drops to get some decent retardation takes some getting used to again, not fair to compare on a wet morning on brand new brakes but I think it will require me to rely less on braking power and anticipate better.

Luggage, panniers are great, it was weird to have a rucksack on again but didnt notice after a little while.

Noticed I was working a bit harder this morning, dont know if it was just me or the extra speed is that the set up of the bike is just it allows you to easily expend more energy wheras with the hybrid the law of diminishing returns kicks in earlier, might be psycholigical, might be me having a lazy wekeend with booze, curry and Oreo biscuits ?

All in all, thrilled with it and can see how roadies attain/maintain that extra speed, managed a 17.5 average best on the Hybrid over my commute, hoping to improve on that.

Debian

Good write up and glad it went well. :rolleyes:

"I enjoyed the refreshing jet of gritty water" - I LOL'd at that, I know exactly what you mean!xx(

potsy

Rambler
Good stuff jacko,I really enjoy commuting on the Secteur instead of the hybrid,but only do it when I don't have much to carry,pockets full is all.
I think the adrenalin of riding the new bike might be why it's faster too.once you've settled down with it it'll be just as hard work as any other bike;)
Just preparing the hybrid now for my journey in,having not used it for over a week:sad:

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Checked my average on the way back by resetting it as I started and managed 16.8 mph over the 7 miles, PB being 17.5 on the Hybrid once last summer with a decent tailwind (slight headwind today) and more aerodynamic clothing, I was making a bit of an effort but not as much as the 17.5 which left me panting, so, I reckon I might be able to get nearer to the magic 20 mph average over the summer*

*usual rules apply, no massive risks, no looking down at the speedo every 5 seconds.

bad boy

Über Member
Good stuff Jacko great review.

Unlike you im still waiting for the weather to continue before getting the secteur out the shed.

I currently still use my bad boy 700 which I find pretty quick to be honest with the open pros on it. In fact I love my bad boy and dont think I would ever stop ridding it on my commute to be honest.

what pedals have you put on the Allex just out of interest ?.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Re brakes - I'm sure you're ahead of me here, but over the last couple of days I've been *really* glad I retired my Shimano pads in favour of Aztec. They're better in the dry, but when it's pissing down they're incomparably better.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

bad boy said:
Good stuff Jacko great review.

Unlike you im still waiting for the weather to continue before getting the secteur out the shed.

I currently still use my bad boy 700 which I find pretty quick to be honest with the open pros on it. In fact I love my bad boy and dont think I would ever stop ridding it on my commute to be honest.

what pedals have you put on the Allex just out of interest ?.

Something along these lines, same as on the Bad Boy,

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/spd-m520-12616

I will still use the Bad Boy but its nice having a change after a couple of years, they do ride pretty quickly even compared to a road bike, the ride is very harsh in comparison I find, will need to do a few days on the Allez and then go back to the Bad Boy and re-assess.

Might try the Aztec pads next time.

Top Bottom