first fixed commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
after doing round the block testing as rear wheel kept pulling over on to the frame , managed to get some old wheel nuts to replace the new ones used by lbs and gave them a good old tug down , and no wheel pull there onwards , i thought it was time to start using bike for commute .

takes a while to get use not being able to freewheel but well worth the wait .

musa

Über Member
Welcome - you'll enjoy it

HovR

Über Member
All these threads make me want to try fixed gear, however I only have one bike which would make a potential conversion candidate - The one I use for all my road rides. :sad:

Unfortunately a large number of the good rides in my area start with an absolutely huge hill climb (45/50mph descending), which I can barely manage with gears - Yet alone single speed or fixed!

Conclusion - I need another road bike!

simon.r

Person
takes a while to get use not being able to freewheel but well worth the wait .

After 100 miles on mine I'm just getting to that 'I'm used to it now' stage and becoming over-confident:smile:

As a result I had a couple of nearly moments today, one where I managed to stop myself toppling over by grabbing a handily placed barrier, after coming to a stop with pedals in the 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock position (I can't get used to unclipping when I stop in that position, no idea why) and the other when I momentarily tried to stop pedalling as I hopped up a kerb. Oops!

I need to somehow develop a technique where I always come to a stop with the pedals in the right position to start off again - either that or learn to start off with the pedals in any position.

I'm enjoying it, after years of riding with a freewheel it's good fun learning some new stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
3 years in commuting fixed, one week not using it. Miss it tbh, as the road bike is like a rocket unleashed. I am using just 3 gears.

Fixed will be back once rims are ordered for the wheel rebuild.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well done, keep it up. Theres something very pure and simple that makes riding fixed so much fun and exhilarating.. Maybe, it reminds me of my first few bikes, when I was a wee nipper and so hence, reminds me and keeps me youthful, I dunno, but I do know know I love it.

My hip-flexors dont love me however.....

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
guys thanks for the confidence vote , really enjoying it and so far i think its more fun than singlespeed a la freewheel , just struggling with getting the right aproach for joining pavements and cyclepaths , as use to standing up and free wheeling

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Im itching to post a video up of a fixie rider I saw on my commute home this morning approx 12am @ St Pauls,he must be one of the coolest fixie riders I have ever seen.If he's Premiership then im in the Blue Square League of fixie riders.

Too much work at the mo,but will produce it and post it up on Sunday.

Top Bottom