First foray into singelspeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauln

Picked up a singlespeed bike this week, cheap off ebay. Haven't ridden without gears since I was about 12 years old (and that was a long time ago). It is a Kenesis Maxlight xcpro frame, the wheels were Bontrager race light but the back one was badly damaged so put a couple of 2nd hand wheels on that I got from a friend. Rode it the 1 mile to work today mostly downhill. Looks like it will be a fun commuter and "riding with the kids" bike. Got to go home mostly uphill though soon so that should be interesting.

BSRU

A Human Being
Make sure you gearing is right.
I saw a guy commuting to work one morning on a single speed who was struggling down a hill with a tailwind:wacko:

OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

Yes gearing is an interesting one. My 1 mile ride to work is fine, home is uphill but made it without too much trouble. Should be easy enough to change though if it gets too much.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It's great, addictive.

You'll be amazed what you can do when you get the right gear and get used to it...

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

I think my problem will be when out riding with my youngest kids, I will be going too slow for the gear I have and it will take a lot of effort to keep it turning.

OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

Think I might be better off with a 17 on the rear, having looked at some gearing charts.

Top Bottom