First ride - broke it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Ed

Regular
So as kinda expected. Being this the first bike I've had it ridden in almost 30 years it didn't go too well initially.

It took 3 or 4 attempts but I did manage to ride it albeit very wobbly.

Course eventually I came off, I tried being smart too soon and took a turn round a corner sharp, misjudged it and caught my leg on a fence on the corner which pulled the bike round and I fell heavily to the ground and ended up in a heap all tangled in the bike.

Seems that I've bent the hook on the front wheel that holds the front and back wheels together when it's folded! Also the front brake was catching so I tried readjusting it and now the front wheel wobbles slightly if I free-spin it...so I'm guessing it wasn't the brakes it was the wheel

Good start to owning a grand of bike!

midlife

Guru
Hope you are all right, dented pride is easy to fix, have the bike mended and start again. Can you throw the bike in a car and drive to somewhere that has good but quiet cycle paths, like through a park?

Shaun

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
you will soon pick it up again . Have you considered buying a second hand clunker for about £30 to practice
on? It would be use full later as a bike to pop round the shops etc .
Good Luck

chris folder

Hi:hello: have a few rides up a country lane to get the feel if the bike or somewhere quiet. The hook on forks front wheel axle just screw new one on in evans £5.25 evans should have them in Stock. Did you check your wheels when first bought bike for wobble mite just need spokes tighten up. Hey you dont want to be falling off to meny times dont want to be marking your paint on the bike

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The wheel wobble sounds like a slightly dislodged axle, unlikely but not impossible on a Brommie. Just loosen the wheel nuts and let the fork drop back into place. The hook will probably bend back into shape.

Usual advice for an adult learned is to drop the saddle height - very easy on a Brommie - and scoot along without pedalling for a while.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The hook on my Brommie snapped when I glanced a high kerb.

I think the replacement was a fiver - a lot for a plastic hook, but not a lot for a Brommie part.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Hey all

I've got a friend of my wife who's a mobile bicycle repairer to come pick it up in a few days and look over it in the new year.

I'm not too keen on picking up an old clunker to ride about because part of the point of getting the brommie was the ability to store it within the flat and although there are bike sheds they are not very secure.

12boy

Guru
I have to agree with srw on both the saddle height and the possibility the wheel may be a bit off in the dropouts. Take a 15 mm wrench, loosen the wheel nuts and make sure the wheel is correctly seated. The front wheel has special washers that should prevents it from being unseated and hold it in place. Next, spin the wheel, with the bike upside down or in a bike stand so the wheel turns freely. See if the distance between the brake and the rim varies. if it does your wheel is out of true. It is also possible your tire was not properly seated and what you are seeing is not rim wobble but a tire that is making it look like the wheel is jacked up. Tires are not as symmetrical as rims and the wheel can look off when the tire is the culprit. Was this the tire that went flat? It is possible the tire and/or the wheel was not installed properly when the flat was fixed and you just did not notice that before you fell.

Top Bottom