First ride of the year!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Let's see...

Bl**dy cold.
No offs (a bonus!) but...
Bent chainring.

Eh? How'd that happen? Entirely on a road route as well. Managed to get a replacement set of rings and fix them (with the help of a mate) and set off back for home. Suddenly (about five miles into the trip) the gears won't shift.

It's pitch black by this point (yes, full set of lights on) and sodding cold. To add insult to injury I've left my allen keys at my mates house so I can't tinker with the gear cable.

The final half of the journey was completed in granny gear. ;) (No, not bloomers and a blue rinse, just with legs spinning like daddio.)

redjedi

Über Member
I'm still trying to decide if I should go for my first commute this morning.
I got everything ready yesterday, bike cleaned and new chain fitted. I was really looking forward to it until I saw the snow this morning.

I've never cycled in the snow before, but I'm sure the main roads in west/north London will be fine, it's just the back roads (which is all I can see) are white.

I suppose I've got to try it eventually, might as well be this morning.

Be careful out there!!

Sky almost made me laugh this morning reporting how it was some people's first day back like it's a hard luck story.Seems like im in the wrong job.

rnscotch

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Sky almost made me laugh this morning reporting how it was some people's first day back like it's a hard luck story.Seems like im in the wrong job.

Yeah me too... where was my hard luck story when i was grinding it out in -6 at 5am on new years day.

Was absolutely bricking it this morning as i am nursing the injuries i got when i wiped out friday morning i thought for a nano second i better get the train as it rained last night so it eventually froze then it snowed which then froze.

Be careful out there ppl as the idiots in the tin cans still zip by too close even when there is ice. ;)

redjedi

Über Member
I don't know what I was worrying about, it was fine,once I got off the the side roads.

Not too much traffic and wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.

But 2 weeks without even getting on the bike took it's toll.

Top Bottom