First ride on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
mrs fry said:
I am so thrilled with my new bike, I am so glad we exchanged the other one. I believe this one is the Tourismo 20SIX Trekker Ladies 17" Hybrid. ..... Though I'm a little short for it and fall over a bit when I try to get off!
Something you might find helpful, is to slide yourself forward off the saddle just before you stop, so your foot does not have so far to go to the ground. It means you are not sitting when stopped but if it prevents falling over .... :biggrin:

So your procedure for stopping is:
select (and move chain to) lower gear, brake, slide forward, foot down.

Pedal to top on 'power leg' ready for take-off.

Gentle push off, weight on 'power leg', other foot on pedal - away you go :blush::wacko:

HTH :smile:

Mounting/Dismounting, with video, courtesy of Sheldon brown
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

And good to hear you're enjoying the bike. Copied/Pasted the make/model into Amazon and it looks like a competent basic bicycle (I mean "basic" in a good way, as in no silly gimmicks, just things that work properly at a reasonable price)

bauldbairn

mrs fry said:
Got some lights from Argos, they do the job. I'll save up and get some really good ones at some point though. Loved riding home tonight, I'm really enjoying it.

mrs fry said:
Oo, and I'm down to 35 minutes! And that's at a leisurely pace =D

Brilliant Mrs Fry! - I'm so glad that you're now enjoying your cycling. :biggrin:

Sheffield_Tiger said:
And good to hear you're enjoying the bike. Copied/Pasted the make/model into Amazon and it looks like a competent basic bicycle (I mean "basic" in a good way, as in no silly gimmicks, just things that work properly at a reasonable price)

+1

I had a look at your bike on Amazon like ST - and it looks like the kind of bike you should have been advised to get in the first place. :smile:

Also, that's pretty good advice from scoosh on dismounting. :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So did I. Just to add to the confidence it appears to be a Dawes brand so should be reasonably solid. :smile:

The rate your commute has been speeding up, sounds like another cyclist that would whiz past me :smile::biggrin:.

Best bit is that you'e enjoying it

bad boy

Über Member
Good stuff Mrs Fry, glad your enjoying your new bike take it easy out there, give it another 4 weeks or so and we probably wont need lights anyway so what you have is no doubt more than adequate anyhow.

bauldbairn

bad boy said:
.........give it another 4 weeks or so and we probably wont need lights anyway so what you have is no doubt more than adequate anyhow.

Good point bad boy - she's already had to spend a lot of cash. That'll give her time to save for some more powerful one's for the winter time.

jimboalee

mrs fry said:
Got some lights from Argos, they do the job. I'll save up and get some really good ones at some point though. Loved riding home tonight, I'm really enjoying it.

You'll love it even more in the summer.

There is another route which goes to the Bassett's Pole.... and then there's Weeford.... and maybe Lichfield..

Top Bottom