First road bike advice (for larger bloke)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daverave

Veteran
Hi All,

Am about to invest in my first road bike... have been using a Hybrid (Giant Escape) for the past few years and only cycle around once a fortnight (weather permitting!) approx. 10-25 miles each time. A better/faster bike might encourage me more. However, I need a bit of advice on what bike to get. I'm 6 foot 2 and 17 stone. Can anyone recommend me something suitable for a road bike starter, and what size to look for? I'm looking to spend anything between £500 and £1000.

Cheers in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to your local bike shop and see what they have. Get done test rides. Your height and weight shouldn't restrict your choice. Loads of similar threads for roadbike recommendations in that price range so have a look through.

E.g http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/£700-on-a-road-bike.161083/#post-3193584

If you like the giant, the defy range is very good

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi All,

Am about to invest in my first road bike... have been using a Hybrid (Giant Escape) for the past few years and only cycle around once a fortnight (weather permitting!) approx. 10-25 miles each time. A better/faster bike might encourage me more. However, I need a bit of advice on what bike to get. I'm 6 foot 2 and 17 stone. Can anyone recommend me something suitable for a road bike starter, and what size to look for? I'm looking to spend anything between £500 and £1000.

Cheers in advance!
at 17stone you can basically buy any road bike that takes your fancy

Wafer

Veteran
I'm an inch shorter and maybe half a stone lighter, can't say I thought about the weight issue much when buying. Doing fine on the Cannondale Synapse I recently got though having spent just over a grand (£1100 for the 105 disc) I am thinking of upgrading the wheels. There's a lot out there in that price range but your weight shouldn't be a limiting factor other than being comfortable on the bike. I wasn't looking at the racier geometries though, the Syanpse is their more relaxed 'endurance' shape and if the front end was any lower I think my belly and legs would struggle when on the drops!

Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Whyte Dorset among a range of good possibilities.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
Cheers all. Is it advisable to upgrade the wheels on any of these suggested bikes i.e. around £700 mark?

Also, I live on top of a long hill. I resort to pushing my hybrid up it. I guess the lighter the bike, the easier this might be? Or should I be looking at certain gear ratios?

vickster

Legendary Member
Gear ratios, lose weight, get fitter

Stronger wheels will be heavier unless you spend a lot

Top Bottom