First Road Bike Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gatekeeper1999

Hi All,

I am a long time Brompton commuter in London but have never owned a road bike. Have been thinking about taking up road cycling as a hobby and now want to take the plunge and get my first ever road bike.

Having read countless reviews and forums on the web and spoken to several bike shops, I have to say I am more confused than when I began! I thought my requirements were simple:
  • Budget of £700 but happy to spend less if the extra marginal spend is not worth it
  • Don't care about make/snob factor
  • Will be my only road bike (for now) so should be able to be ridden year round and have mudguards
  • Something suitable for a cyclist new to road cycling - comfort etc.
  • Something that wont need replacing in a year
I have considered all these but to be honest, I am completely lost!

Trek 1.1, 1.2, 1.5
Specialized Allez
Ribble 7005
Giant Defy 5
B'twin 3, 3A, 5, 5A
Carerra TDF
Boardman bikes

BTW I am 6ft 4in and 95kg so factor that in. A bike shop told me that carbon forks etc aren't great for the larger cyclist as things can crack/break easier. Charming!

One thing I have decided on is the shoes and pedals (Shimano SH-M064 shoes / Shimano A530 SPD Single Sided Touring Pedals). That was the easiest decision!!

Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

Kbrook

Veteran
Well I am no expert but I am 6'3" about the same weight. I have a Ribble 7046 and my partners son has the Giant Defy 5' he is also 6' 4 and he is only 15! I have ridden both, mine looks better, in my opinion rides better and I wouldn't swap. My carbon forks haven't collapsed under my bulk so I think that sounds like rubbish but as I say I am far from an expert. That said if the Triban 3 had been available at the time I may well have got that. Good luck

outlash

also available in orange
Try before you buy. I bought a Triban 3 via mail order purely based on reviews and I couldn't get on with it. I went to a shop, got some advice and tried a few bikes before ending up with a Cannondale CAAD8 which I felt was the best bike for me then and still is now :smile:.

Tony.

OP
OP
G

gatekeeper1999

Thank you for the replies. I am considering the Ribble seriously but am worried about it being mail order and sizing etc. Also I'm no bike mechanic so what happens if I have issues in the first few weeks. I guess thats the benefit of the LBS. Maybe we have a vote on this thread and I buy the one with the most votes!!!

Kbrook

Veteran
Well I am slightly shorter than you and I have the XL, and its perfect for me, so would imagine that would be the size for you. Take your point though regarding getting one from the LBS. FWIW I got my partners sons Giant Defy 5 from Ash Cycles Mail order and they were fantastic to deal with.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Height is largely irrelevant. Height doesn't tell anyone your inside leg,relative torso length or reach.

Reach being the factor that determines top tube length which cannot be changed. Stems can be changed - but really

Go test ride actual bikes. Mail order is only viable if you know your sizing** or are good at guessing.

**The majority of which will differ across manufacturers#

-----------Taken from a size guide on a well known mail order site----------

Height Height CM Inside Leg Frame Size ETT
6'0" – 6'3" 182.5 – 190cm 32.5" – 34" 60 – 62cm 59 – 60cm

I'm 6'3" inside leg 37" Frame is a 56 - 40MM different than suggested, and not a difference that can be changed.

Top Bottom