First road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Degsie73

Regular
Ok I know it's probably been asked a thousand times on here before, but I'm looking for my first road bike! I've done a fair bit of research and narrowed it down as best I can. I ride about twice a week (currently on a fairly cheap hybrid) and am looking to do a few sportives next year so need something more appropriate.

My main culprits are: Giant defy 1/ Planet X pro carbon/ Rose pro sl 2000/ Hoy sa calobre 003

Was wondering if anybody had any experience of these - good or bad to share with me? Am trying to keep the budget below £1000 as best I can also!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whatever you choose, give them all as long a test ride as you can. A first road bike can feel a bit strange and a half-way good bike shop can help a lot. That means not buying from an on-line supplier unless you can borrow an identical model to try out from a friend beforehand.

I chose a Cinelli Experience at a bit less than your budget. It's great fun but I knew what to look for after two years on my first road bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The second bike actually cost £100 less than the first, a Specialized Secteur Elite. I could have spent quite a bit more but when I got on the pedals, there didn't seem much point.

Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck.

OP
OP
Degsie73

Degsie73

Regular
My next problem is I'm struggling to find a half decent LBS as the only one I have any dealings with is Evans in Crawley
(West Sussex) and the staff there are shall we say a mixed bag, one lad I spoke to seemed fairly knowledgeable but the rest - not so much!! Clearly the Rose or Planet X would not be able to be test ridden if I went down that route! I believe there is a Giant store in Guilford so could possibly test ride the Defy 1 there?

Next question I guess is does anybody have any good experience or recommendations of bike stores in West Sussex?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I know that some people don't like them, but I went to CycleSurgery to buy my first bike, the London Victoria branch. I take my bike to another branch in London for servicing stuff that I can't do and I really don't have any complaints. If there is a branch near you, it might be worth a try.

BTW, if you wait until the end of season sales when bike shops try and shift last year's models, you can save a few hundred quid on your budget.

Top Bottom