First Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mm1426

I took up cycling last year and purchased a Gravel Bike. I felt more comfortable "learning" with bigger tyres not always sticking to roads.

I'm now looking to buy a road bike and have been looking at the Cube Attain Race.

Can anyone recommend others as a first road bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
There are loads of options but it’ll come down to budget, desired spec (eg disc vs rim brakes) and at present actual availability.
If you post the spec of the Cube that’ll help see what you are looking for.
If you like the Cube having sat on it and preferably ridden it, then there’s likely no need to look further :okay:
At any given price point, the specs will be similar (although you might get better components on a smaller brand vs Specialized or Trek), it’ll come down to what feels best to you and then the colour! ^_^

Last edited:
I took up cycling last year and purchased a Gravel Bike. I felt more comfortable "learning" with bigger tyres not always sticking to roads.

I'm now looking to buy a road bike and have been looking at the Cube Attain Race.

Can anyone recommend others as a first road bike?
Is a spare set of light road wheels/tyres on the gravel bike an option?

OP
OP
M

mm1426

There are loads of options but it’ll come down to budget, desired spec (eg disc vs rim brakes) and at present actual availability.
If you post the spec of the Cube that’ll help see what you are looking for.
If you like the Cube having sat on it and preferably ridden it, then there’s likely no need to look further :okay:
At any given price point, the specs will be similar (although you might get better components on a smaller brand vs Specialized or Trek), it’ll come down to what feels best to you and then the colour! ^_^
I’m getting the bike through the cyclescheme and to be honest haven’t paid much attention to the spec......I like how it looks. I definitely prefer disc brakes having ridden my friends bike that has rim brakes.

OP
OP
M

mm1426

Is a spare set of light road wheels/tyres on the gravel bike an option?
I wanted to keep the gravel bike as it is, for poor weather and some of the local trails, without the hassle of changing over wheels/tyres. The tax position on cyclescheme means I’m happy to get a new bike. I may be doing rather stupid in my posts but as I said, I’m really new to cycling ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m getting the bike through the cyclescheme and to be honest haven’t paid much attention to the spec......I like how it looks. I definitely prefer disc brakes having ridden my friends bike that has rim brakes.
If it’s for commuting then in all weathers, look for a bike that takes mudguards and potentially a pannier rack

(c2w is not meant to be for saving tax to fund a hobby) ;)

I wanted to keep the gravel bike as it is, for poor weather and some of the local trails, without the hassle of changing over wheels/tyres. The tax position on cyclescheme means I’m happy to get a new bike. I may be doing rather stupid in my posts but as I said, I’m really new to cycling ^_^
Ok fair play, that Cube looks pretty good, Tiagra groupset and just over 10kg. Mech discs not hydraulic only gripe but others rate these. Not sure what gravel bike you have, but Cube should be more responsive on the black stuff. Let us know how you get on :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ok fair play, that Cube looks pretty good, Tiagra groupset and just over 10kg. Mech discs not hydraulic only gripe but others rate these. Not sure what gravel bike you have, but Cube should be more responsive on the black stuff. Let us know how you get on :okay:
they are TPR spyres though, which are as good as mech disc get so pretty decent.

back to OP, so much choice, go for what you fancy or what colour scheme you like / what's available locally / under C2W.

2 sets of wheels for the gravel bike is good advice, add mudguards and you've got yourself a winter road bike. - swapping wheels is n hassle at all, changing tyres is more hassle, hence the 2 wheelset option. Still buy the summer road bike though!:okay:

they are TPR spyres though, which are as good as mech disc get so pretty decent.

back to OP, so much choice, go for what you fancy or what colour scheme you like / what's available locally / under C2W.

2 sets of wheels for the gravel bike is good advice, add mudguards and you've got yourself a winter road bike. - swapping wheels is n hassle at all, changing tyres is more hassle, hence the 2 wheelset option. Still buy the summer road bike though!:okay:
That was my thinking, been using gravel bike with 32c tyres on the road a lot, BUT it is carbon and light (ish) which helps. I know some cheap ones are not the best for road work, so +1 on getting that Cube or similar.

Top Bottom