First SS Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy01

I had some time on my hands recently (always dangerous) so as I hadn't ridden offroad in any meaningful fashion in at least 12 months I thought why no try an SS conversion on the MTB.

This thing is definately getting on a bit, it's a 1995 Klein Fervor but I thought it would serve as a decent base for an SS and maybe fixed in the future. Especially as it's got horizontal drop outs which makes chain tension a doddle.

So, a cheap 17t cog and spacers off ebay, lots of removing stuff and a big fight to shorten the chain and we have this.

Frame : 1995 (pre- Trek) Klein Fervor
Forks : Marzzochi Superfly Z2's
Wheels : Hope Titanium Hubs laced to Campag Atek rims (built in 1993)
Tyres : Some random cheap Panaracers found in LBS yesterday.
Stem/Bars : Kooka / JMC new stuff
Seatpost : Syncros
Saddle : Original Flite Titanium
Chainset : Shimano Deore (i think)
Front Brake : Simano Deore LX V
Rear Brake : Simano XTR Canti's

Jobs still needed:

Sort the chainset (remove inner rings and replace outer with something smaller as the gearing is way to high for a 1st time SS'er where I live in Devon). Probably switch the rear sprocket to an 18t aswell. :biggrin:

Cut down the bars.

Replace the BB - This is going to be painful as it's Klein's own and they're pressed in. As far as I know there's only 1 company (in Germany) making BB's that will go into this frame, and they start at £99. Might have to wait a bit on that.

I'd like to get the frame blasted, get the chunks missing out of it repaired and then the whole thing powdercoated white but that's something for later.

Paddy

RedBike

It looks like you're on the big ring (44t?) at the front.
Most MTBers tend to run a ratio of about 2:1 off-road, so if the middle rings 32 or 34 your 17t sprocket will be spot on.

RedBike

I'm still a bit unsure about having my MTB single speed.
It drives me mad on the road, I spin out all the time. Off-road I feel as though i'm mauling this stupidly big gear all the time. Yet somehow, for reasons I really can't explain it is more fun.

I could do with two bikes. A full sus with gears for the 'big' stuff and a super light fully rigid hardtail thats single speed for just mucking around on.
Sadly I never get out on my MTB often enough to justify two MTBs.

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

This'll be just for beach cruising and fireroad type trails at the most, as opposed to full MTB type duties. Offroad but not what I'd call mountain biking per se.

Plus also for more social road rides with the wife and other friends who aren't interested in going bannanas with speed so I can leave the road bike at home and just cruise. :rolleyes:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd get rid of the sus forks and get normal ones. you can get second hand ones dirt cheap from lbs who have loads of them knocking around from people who have gone the other way, so to speak…

GrasB

Veteran
Whats wrong with hard-tails? My ride log shows that my HT fixie is all of 0.5mph slower on average than my Marin on work duties & I can tell you what's far more fun on the slightly ruff stuff. IIRC my spesh is geared at 75" most of the time (15/46 with 26x1.25" tyres) though I can go between 60" and 82" with different gearing combos.

Oh if those forks can be adjusted/dismantled you may want to consider upping the spring rate. I trebled the spring rate on my bike it's great, far better than a lock out as there is still some give in the forks if I hit a pot hole, or a kerb, at speed but I don't lose loads of power due to fork movement.

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

alecstilleyedye said:
i'd get rid of the sus forks and get normal ones. you can get second hand ones dirt cheap from lbs who have loads of them knocking around from people who have gone the other way, so to speak…

I've got the original rigid forks in the garage. Definately would consider putting them back on.

Big regret is managing to snap the original Mission Control combined bar and stem a couple of years ago. Doh!

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

GrasB said:
Whats wrong with hard-tails? My ride log shows that my HT fixie is all of 0.5mph slower on average than my Marin on work duties & I can tell you what's far more fun on the slightly ruff stuff. IIRC my spesh is geared at 75" most of the time (15/46 with 26x1.25" tyres) though I can go between 60" and 82" with different gearing combos.

Oh if those forks can be adjusted/dismantled you may want to consider upping the spring rate. I trebled the spring rate on my bike it's great, far better than a lock out as there is still some give in the forks if I hit a pot hole, or a kerb, at speed but I don't lose loads of power due to fork movement.

Hardtails are all good for me. Never owned a full susser. ;)

Gearing wise, I'm leaning towards gearing down (or do I mean up?) as I prefer spinning along, plus living in Devon there's a lot of hill work to consider :biggrin:

Chuffy

Veteran
paddy01 said:
Gearing wise, I'm leaning towards gearing down (or do I mean up?) as I prefer spinning along, plus living in Devon there's a lot of hill work to consider :biggrin:
Heh, tell me about it....
I'm on the other side of the Exe from you and I run 46x16 (don't ask me what gear inch that is because I don't know). Plenty for commuting and leisure rides, unless we ride across the Haldons in which case it's just hard work, but still do-able. I'm a masher though, so gear down if you have high speed legs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That Klein - give it to me !

PS I have a hard tail, and rigid fork MTB - old classic, but it goes anywhere. Not to fast downhill, but that's the rider's fault.

Top Bottom