Fitting a bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

I am building a fixie and have a Dolan FXE frame and almost all the parts.

I have just attempted to fit a StongLight Mygal bottom bracket and can only conclude that the thread of the BB and the frame are incompatible. I have slightly cross threaded the first 5mm of the RH bottom bracket shell. I'm not too worried about that because there is plenty of fresh thread further into the shell. However this is not something I was expecting. The BB is specified as 68*107mm BSA. I thought the threads would be standard as well. If not I can't see how anyone can hope to make components that are compatible with each other.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
theres a few standards - see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket#Standards

though most are the english stadard, or in second place the italian. No idea as to what the Dolan should be someone will hopefully enlighten us (I'd imagine they're the former).

OP
OP
E

earth

Took it to the LBS who came up good.

They used a tool to smooth out the thread in the bottom bracket shell and re-tap where I had cross threaded it.

They also alluded that the RH stamped into one end of the bottom bracket thread means that side goes into the _left hand_ side of the frame and the end marked LH goes into the _right hand_ side of the frame (when looking from above). Of course marking RH for right hand and LH for left hand would be far too obvious.

Top Bottom