Fitting of Replacement 10sp Chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Erasmus

Hi, I have just fitted a replacement inner chainring to my FSA chainset, using a SRAM 34t item purchased from Tredz. It fitted easily enough, and seems to work fine in use, shifting ok between chainrings. However, I subesquently came across a video which seemed to suggest that the little tab (between bottom 2 attachment points on image below) should line up with the crank.

I can't see any shifting ramps that would be affected so, before I start mucking around with something that seems to be working well - do any of you folk know what is the significance of lining this tab up with the crank?

Thanks, John

1701039981898.png

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
If I remember correctly, some Stronglight chainsets have the crank covering one of the bolt holes. It may be this ring will not fit that configuration. Otherwise, I can't see an obvious reason for choosing the tab position rather than the other possibilities.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

If I remember correctly, some Stronglight chainsets have the crank covering one of the bolt holes. It may be this ring will not fit that configuration. Otherwise, I can't see an obvious reason for choosing the tab position rather than the other possibilities.

Thanks. I've seen the type of chainset you mean, but mine is a much simpler old fashioned 5 bolt jobbie.

I've since come across an article which explains that, if the outer chainring has gated (cut) teeth to facilitate at what point the chain dislodges, then the inner chainring should have the tab lined up with the crank. Otherwise, as you say, it makes no difference.

My outer chainring does have gated tooth profile but, for the life of me I can't see any real difference in the teeth or layour of the new inner chainring. However, I'm the nerdy sort who would take a tight fitting tyre off and do it again if I realised I'd fitted against the rotational arrow!!

Therefore I've refitted the chainrings. I might be imagining it, but I feel the changing is now a bit better (placebo effect, never!!).

Thanks again, John.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

Shouldn't cause any issues. My chainrings have a pin that needs to be aligned behind the crank, just in case of chain drop.

Hah, guess which numpty didn't spot that first time he changed an outside chainring and was at a cafe stop wondering what the strange protrusion was from his chainset. Cheers, John.

Top Bottom